Vaiko leads anti-Sri Lanka rally in CoimbatoreMarch 20th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Mar 20 (ANI): Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) General Secretary V. Gopalswamy on Friday led a rally here to protest against the Sri Lankan Armys offensive on ethnic Tamils in that island-nation.
Gopalswamy popularly known as Vaiko said that if New Delhi continues to supply arms to Colombo then the integrity of the country would break.
If these atrocities against Tamil people and their killings in Sri Lanka, and supply of arms by the Indian Government to Sri Lanka continues then the integrity of the country will break into pieces, Vaiko said.
MDMK workers also protested against the arrest of their senior colleague Nangil Sampath, who was arrested under the National Security Act (NSA), a few days ago.
Vaiko also asked the state government to arrest him and all Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) supporters under the NSA and convert the entire Tamil Nadu state into a prison.
If anybody supports the LTTE then NSA will be invoked. Now I say that I will support the LTTE. You can arrest all of us under the NSA. Then all prisons will be full of cadres, and the entire Tamil Nadu will convert into a prison, he added.
India has been demanding protection for Sri Lankas Tamils, who are closely linked to the 60 million Tamils in Tamil Nadu.
According to what the UN called credible sources, more than 2,800 civilians may have been killed and 7,000 others wounded in the fighting over the last two months. (ANI)
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Oct 29, 2010
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Tribunal reserves order on Vaiko's plea against LTTE ban - Sep 24, 2010
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- MDMK chief Vaiko wants UN to intervene in Sri Lanka - Jul 25, 2009
- Over 8000 MDMK activists arrested for protesting over Mullaperiyar Dam issue - May 29, 2010
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Tamil leader Vaiko criticises New Delhi''s Sri Lankan policy - Feb 18, 2009
- MDMK quits AIADMK alliance, to boycott elections (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Vaiko seeks UN intervention in Sri Lankan crisis - Apr 19, 2009
- MDMK leader Vaiko slams Government for inaction on easing Lankan Tamils plight - Sep 11, 2009
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: 60 million, armys, atrocities, cadres, coimbatore, credible sources, general secretary, indian government, island nation, killings, last two months, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, mdmk, national security act, nsa, sampath, sri lankan, sri lankas, tamil nadu state, tamils