Vaiko condemns special treatment for Lankan president at TirupatiJanuary 1st, 2010 - 9:42 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan 1 (ANI): The Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) founder, V Gopalswamy (Vaiko), condemned the Union Government for inviting Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and giving a preferential treatment to him at the famous Tirupati temple.
Addressing the media here, Vaiko contended that the Union Government by keeping in view the state of Lankan Tamils should not have extended such a privilege to Rajapaksa.
“He (Rajapaksa) was invited by the Indian government and he was brought to Tirupati Tirumala temple. I don’t blame the temple authorities. They don’t have any fault in this,” Vaiko said.
“I accuse the Central Government for inviting Rajapaksa here and giving a red carpet welcome in front of temple and taking him to the Sanctum Sanctorum which… unpardonable, betrayal against the Tamils,”he added.
In October 2009, Rajapaksa visited to Tirupathi for a darshan of Lord Venkateshwara at Tirumala.
He was given red carpet reception in New Delhi and was also given special permission to enter the Balaji temple. (ANI)
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Oct 29, 2010
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupathi - Oct 31, 2009
- Over 8000 MDMK activists arrested for protesting over Mullaperiyar Dam issue - May 29, 2010
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- MDMK leader Vaiko slams Government for inaction on easing Lankan Tamils plight - Sep 11, 2009
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Centre should take tough stand on Lankan Navy attacks: Vaiko - Aug 13, 2010
- MDMK chief Vaiko wants UN to intervene in Sri Lanka - Jul 25, 2009
Tags: balaji temple, betrayal, carpet reception, carpet welcome, central government, chennai, darshan, dravida, indian government, lord venkateshwara, mahinda rajapaksa, preferential treatment, president mahinda rajapaksa, red carpet, sanctum sanctorum, sri lankan president, tamils, temple authorities, tirupati temple, union government