Vaghela to lay foundation stone of ”Handloom Marketing Complex” tomorrowFebruary 16th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 16 (ANI): Union Textiles Minister Shankersinh Vaghela will lay the foundation stone of “Handloom Marketing Complex” here tomorrow.
The new marketing complex, exclusively for the handloom fabrics from various parts of India, is being set up on 1.779 acres of land at Janpath, New Delhi.
It will be built at a cost of Rs. 42.00 crores and will have double two bay basement parking space so as to provide a conducive atmosphere for shoppers.
The complex will start functioning tentatively by October 2010.
The complex will house products from some of the best handloom producing organizations such as Handloom House Co-optex, APCO, CCIC and other reputed organizations.
It will also have space for a Dilli Haat type atmosphere wherein weavers from throughout the country will be invited for a 14 days period to exhibit their fabrics and sell their products.
Besides this, there will be a restaurant, conference hall and other facilities.
The handloom sector is the second largest employment generating sector in India, next only to agriculture, employing about 65 lakh people, out of which about 60 per cent are women.
Therefore, the contribution of handwoven textiles to employment, textile production and export earnings is significant not only from an economic angle but also from a social angle. (ANI)
- Vaghela to lay foundation stone of ''Handloom Marketing Complex'' today - Feb 17, 2009
- Govt. is committed to help weavers to meet challenges of globalisation: Vaghela - Feb 17, 2009
- 'India can be world leader in handmade textiles' - Jan 05, 2012
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian lessons for Kenyan bead weavers (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- Village handicrafts go on show at Dilli Haat - Dec 03, 2011
- Lesser known northeastern crafts caught in marketing bottleneck - Jun 14, 2012
- Anuradha Ramam to take Indian weaves to San Francisco (With Images) - Apr 08, 2012
- Artisans from across the country assemble for 'Shilpotsav 2010' at Delhi Haat - Oct 16, 2010
- Delhi's third Dilli Haat planned in west Delhi - Dec 20, 2011
- Event to promote handicraft, handloom sector - Aug 17, 2012
- Dayanidhi Maran inaugurates Master Creation Programme for craftpersons - Dec 09, 2009
- Women artisans forge new links between South Asian nations - Jan 06, 2011
- Handloom technology institute in Bengal soon: Minister - Nov 26, 2011
- Artisans from across the country participate in Shillong handloom exhibition - Dec 12, 2009
Tags: agriculture, apco, ccic, conducive atmosphere, crores, dilli haat, export earnings, foundation stone, handloom fabrics, handloom sector, handwoven textiles, lakh, New Delhi, new marketing, optex, parking space, rs 42, shoppers, textile production, type atmosphere