Vaccination drive gains momentum in hepatitis-hit GujaratFebruary 24th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Modasa (Gujarat), Feb 24 (ANI): More and more people are turning up for a vaccination drive launched in Modasa town of Gujarat after an outbreak of Hepatitis-B.
The dreaded disease has claimed close to 43 lives within a fortnight in Sabarkantha district.
Doctors said people of all age groups were being vaccinated against the disease.
“As per the protocol, right from infants to ten-year-old children, we are giving 1.5 mm paediatric dose. Those who are above ten, we are given one mm dose. We have deployed our five women workers for the vaccination drive. Everything is going smoothly,” said V.N Vyas, a doctor. People expressed relief that some action was being taken to contain the disease.
“Before taking the vaccination, I was apprehensive, but now I am feeling good. The government has done a good job though they have taken the preventive measures very late. Everybody has taken the injection. We would like to thank the government,” said Neha, a resident
The vaccination will be carried out in three phases. While the second doze will be administered after 30 days, third dose will be given after 60 days.
Earlier, state health minister told the state legislature that 224 medical teams were deployed in the district.
Simultaneously, the heath authorities have also circulated 30,000 pamphlets and launched a public awareness campaign to create awareness on Hepatitis-B. (ANI)
- Residents of Modassa blame Gujarat Govt. for spread of Hepatitis B - Feb 22, 2009
- Hepatitis awareness programme launched for Mumbai slums - Jul 28, 2012
- Eleven die of hepatitis-D in Gujarat district - Feb 13, 2009
- Ensure Hepatitis-B vaccine in hospitals, Uttar Pradesh told (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hepatitis-B toll rises to 16 in Gujarat sub-district - Feb 16, 2009
- Judge's complaint on Hepatitis-B to be heard as PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- Bharat Biotech vaccine doses touch one-billion mark - Feb 03, 2010
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- 9 in 10 Delhiites still need to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B Virus: Experts - Dec 04, 2010
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- Hepatitis B death toll in Gujarat rises to 34 - Feb 19, 2009
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- Hepatitis on rise in India due to ignorance: Experts - Jul 16, 2010
- Hepatitis B death toll in Gujarat rises to 60 - Mar 02, 2009
Tags: age groups, doze, five women, fortnight, good job, gujarat, health minister, hepatitis, hepatitis b, medical teams, momentum, outbreak, pamphlets, preventive measures, public awareness campaign, state health, state legislature, vaccination, vyas, women workers