Uttarakhand Govt. advisory asks pilgrims not to visit BadrinathJuly 20th, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 20 (ANI): The Uttarakhand Government issued an advisory on Monday asking pilgrims not to visit the Badrinath shrine, which has been cut off from the rest of the country after a big stretch of road at Lambagar was snapped due to cloudburst on Saturday night.
Chamoli’s District Magistrate Arun Dhaundiyal said that 1,000 pilgrims were struck at various points in and around Badrinath and the district administration was trying to provide facilities like food items to them.
The road is expected to be repaired by Wednesday.
Meanwhile, BRO personnel have started work to repair the road and clear debris on the Badrinath-Rishikesh highway at Lambagar, a highly fragile zone in the Himalayan belt.
A temporary bridge has also been erected in the area which can be used by pedestrians.
Officials sources said the pilgrims who are stranded at Joshimath have been advised to continue to stay for a few more days till the alternate arrangements are made.
Scores of pilgrims are killed every year at Lambagar area due to landslides which are common during the monsoon season. (ANI)
- Cloud burst kills one in Chamoli, Badrinath route blocked - Jul 05, 2012
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- Bahuguna surveys damage in Uttarakhand, offers more relief - Aug 16, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Deploy choppers to rescue people in Uttarakhand: PM - Aug 07, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- PM, Sonia assure Uttarakhand all help (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Landslides, flash floods damage roads in Uttarakhand - Sep 23, 2010
- Two army officers buried under snow avalanche (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Swaraj asks Shinde to evacuate pilgrims from Uttarakhand - Aug 07, 2012
- Manali-Rohtang Pass closed after cloudburst - Aug 04, 2012
- Tourists stranded in Uttarakhand - Sep 21, 2010
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Heavy rainfall disrupts normal life in Uttarakhand - Aug 18, 2009
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: alternate arrangements, arun, chamoli, cloudburst, debris, district administration, district magistrate, food items, joshimath, landslides, monsoon season, New Delhi, pedestrians, pilgrims, saturday night, temporary bridge, uttarakhand