Uttarakhand forest rangers get trained to counter poachersMarch 11th, 2009 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
By Vipul Goel
Haldwani (Uttarakhand), Mar 11 (ANI): The Chief Conservator of Forests in Uttarakhand has equipped local rangers and other field staff with night vision cameras and other hi-tech security-cum-communication gadgets to save animals from poachers.
There has been a sharp increase in the number of incidents of poaching in recent times.
This has prompted the Government to protect priceless flora and fauna in the state.
The frontline forest staff headed by the Rangers are being taught how to use the latest gadgets to counter poaching. They have been given a first hand account of the tactics of the jungle mafia and the traps laid by poachers to catch tigers, leopards and elephants.
Parag Madhukar, Divisional Forest Officer of Terai Range said: “We are increasing the efficiency of the staff by training them to use the latest gadgets. Some of the techniques include patrolling the water bodies using motorboats. Forest staff has also been trained how to use the latest metal detectors.”
Uttarakhand has 13.42 percent of its land declared as protected areas wherein a variety of fascinating wildlife such as the golden mahseer, Himalayan monal, the Great Hornbill, Himalayan musk deer, elephants and the majestic felines like the tiger and the snow leopards reside.
Besides, numerous species of reptiles including the king cobra can be seen in the lush green forests here.
The step of updating the forest rangers and field staff with the latest technology is expected to go a long way in saving endangered species. (ANI)
- Six poachers arrested from Jim Corbett National Park in Rampur - Feb 16, 2011
- African breed dog to track wildlife poachers in Uttarakhand - Oct 23, 2010
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011
- With 200 tigers, Corbett turns a proud 75 (With Image) - Sep 11, 2011
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Ivory poachers shot dead in Kenya - Apr 22, 2012
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (Lead, With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Injured female leopard dies in Uttarakhand's famous Corbett Park - Jul 31, 2010
- Elephant hit by train, rescued in Uttarkhand - Oct 28, 2010
- Raj Thackeray puts cash rewards to save tigers - Jun 01, 2012
- Ansari visits Dachigam National Park - Sep 17, 2012
- The white ghost of the Himalayas: A vision in the snow (Feature) - Mar 11, 2012
- Jogi for CBI probe into wildlife killings - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: chief conservator, communication gadgets, felines, field staff, flora and fauna, forest officer, forest rangers, forest staff, great hornbill, green forests, haldwani, himalayan monal, king cobra, latest gadgets, metal detectors, musk deer, night vision cameras, poachers, snow leopards, water bodies