Uttar Pradesh cop suspended for thrashing a Dalit womanFebruary 18th, 2010 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
Amethi (Uttar Pradesh), Feb 18 (ANI): An Uttar Pradesh policeman was on Thursday suspended after being caught on camera for thrashing a Dalit woman inside the police station in an attempt to extract a confession from her.
A leading electronic media revealed shocking pictures of the incident, following which, the state government decided to suspend the Amethi cop.
The police officer is seen slapping the woman, ripping her clothes apart, pushing her to the ground and continuously punching and kicking her.
However, no action is expected to be taken against the female constable, who is seen standing as a mute spectator in the entire footage.
Officials claimed the lady constable was too afraid to stop her senior officer from assaulting the woman.
The victim is 26-year old Sangeeta Kori, who has been charged for murdering her husband.
Police recovered the body of Kori’s husband from their house in Aliganj on Tuesday.
Section 46 of the Code of Criminal Procedure states that no woman shall be arrested after sunset and before sunrise, and she has the right to refuse to go to the police station between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. even if an arrest warrant has been issued in her name.
Further, a police woman can only handle a woman suspect and male cops cannot touch her. A police woman has to be present during the interrogations. A woman suspect cannot be arrested by a police officer, who is below the rank of Assistant Sub-Inspector. She can only be arrested in the presence of male relatives. (ANI)
- 15 cops suspended for making suspect perform striptease - May 25, 2011
- Woman who duped six 'husbands' held - Feb 23, 2012
- Delhi Police constable suspended for molestation - Nov 26, 2011
- Criminals run truck over UP sub-inspector - May 17, 2012
- Married woman gangraped by six men in Ghaziabad - Mar 24, 2012
- Youth shoots at cops inside Kanpur police station - Mar 30, 2012
- Two Bengal cops removed for misbehaving with woman complainant - Apr 26, 2012
- Another cop held for girl's death in police station - Jul 03, 2011
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Three cops suspended for assaulting their woman officer - Sep 03, 2010
- Uma Bharti to stage first sit-in as BJP leader Saturday - Jun 17, 2011
- Victim drags rapist to police station - Feb 20, 2011
- Three UP cops arrested for rape in outpost - May 28, 2012
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Police told to give Mumbai woman her 'dowry' money - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: arrest warrant, clothes, confession, constable, cop, cops, electronic media, interrogations, kori, male relatives, police officer, police station, police woman, policeman, sangeeta, shocking pictures, spectator, state government, sunrise, sunset