U.S. Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs in IndiaFebruary 8th, 2011 - 8:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 8 (ANI): United States Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs, Maria Otero, is currently on a four-day visit of India.
During her visit, she will visit Karnataka and New Delhi.
In Karnataka, Under Secretary Otero will visit the Bylakuppe Tibetan settlements, and meet with local refugee officials. She will also hold an interactive session with students, monks and nuns.
Otero will also tour the Namdroling Monastery and visit micro-enterprises. The State Department provides funding for a variety of programs that support refugeesworldwide, including those living in India.
In New Delhi, Otero will meet with senior government officials and members of non-governmental organizations to discuss regional disaster management, coordination at the UN on global issues, and cooperation in interested third countries to strengthen election organizations and management.
Otero departs India for Bhutan on February 11.
As Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs, Maria Otero oversees and coordinates U.S. foreign relations on a variety of global issues, including democracy, refugees, migration, and the environment.
She also serves as the Special Coordinator for Tibetan issues. (ANI)
- Two top US officials visit South Asia - Feb 07, 2012
- US official in India to push defence sales - Feb 08, 2011
- UN envoy shows support for Tibetan refugees in Nepal - Feb 14, 2011
- Visit to Tawang part of Dalai Lama's duties: US - Nov 06, 2009
- Nepal cracks down on Tibet war veterans welfare group - Feb 17, 2011
- Ahead of PM's visit, India, US discuss global issues - Nov 05, 2009
- Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs to travel to Indonesia - May 18, 2010
- US names special coordinator for Tibetan issues - Oct 02, 2009
- Tibetan PM completes one year in office - Aug 07, 2012
- US concerned over violence in Tibet - Jan 25, 2012
- Mathai meets Clinton, says India committed to n-deal - Feb 09, 2012
- Dalai Lama recalls ex-Karnataka chief minister Nijalingappa's help - Jan 29, 2011
- US special coordinator calls on Dalai Lama - Oct 19, 2010
- Foreign Secretary Rao discusses UNSC permanent seat for India with top U.S. officials - Sep 18, 2010
- Resolve Tibet issue through dialogue, says PM-in-exile - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: disaster management, foreign relations, global affairs, global issues, government officials, governmental organizations, interactive session, karnataka, management coordination, maria otero, micro enterprises, monastery, monks and nuns, New Delhi, refugee, refugees, secretary of state, state department, tibetan issues, tibetan settlements