US to remove Nepal Maoists from terror watch listApril 21st, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
Kathmandu, Apr 21 (ANI): United States Ambassador to Nepal Nancy J Powell has said that the Bush Administration is likely to remove the Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-M) from its terrorist Watch list.
She said that a few technicalities are remaining to finalise the move.
During her meeting with interim parliament speaker Subhash Nemwang, Powell said that the US could continue to extend its assistance to the Nepal Government irrespective of any party coming to power.
According to nepalnews.com, Powell might have discussed the ongoing peace process, constitution drafting process and the latest political development with Nemwang,
Even though the Maoists in Nepal ended their decade-long insurgency two years back, the US had still placed the former rebels on its worldwide list of terrorist organisations. (ANI)
- Nepal parliament endorses interim constitution amendment bill - May 29, 2011
- Nepal Maoists taken off US terror list - Sep 07, 2012
- Nepali Speaker urged to help end "meaningless" PM election - Sep 24, 2010
- U.S. gov't refuses to take Maoist party off terrorism lists despite election win - Aug 30, 2011
- Former Indian envoy KV Rajan hails Nepal's peace process - Jun 09, 2010
- Nepali PM Khanal vows to step down if peace process doesn't progress - Aug 02, 2011
- Nepal opposition plans anti-government protest - Jun 05, 2012
- Nepal's Prime Minister postpones resignation - Aug 14, 2011
- India faces twin Maoist problem in Nepal - Feb 05, 2010
- Conflict between parties delaying Nepal's cabinet expansion: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
- Nepal House passes eighth Amendment Bill to extend Constituent Assembly's term - May 29, 2010
- Voting for new Nepal PM today - Jul 21, 2010
- Nemwang confident that Nepal will get new constitution on time - Aug 14, 2009
- Nepal will initiate "new process" if PM not elected by January 12 - Jan 09, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Nepal - Apr 06, 2009
Tags: ambassador, bush administration, communist party of nepal, communist party of nepal maoist, constitution, cpn, decade, maoist, maoists in nepal, nancy j powell, nepal government, nepal maoists, nepalnews com, parliament, parliament speaker, peace process, rebels, subhash, technicalities, terrorist watch list