US to give anti-submarine frigate to PakistanOctober 19th, 2008 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 19 (ANI): President George W Bush has approved provision of a US anti-submarine frigate to Pakistan, which will be refurbished with latest systems and delivered in August 2010.
Pakistani Embassy in Washington has been informed that the US President signed a bill on Friday, authorizing provision of Frigate FFG-8 McInerney anti-submarine (type Oliver Hazard Perry) from the American fleet. The US Congress has already endorsed the decision.
Pakistans Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani lobbied hectically over the last few weeks and worked closely with the US departments of State and Defense as well as senior officials at the White House to secure support for Pakistans request, which received a positive response inside a month.
In his several interactions, Haqqani made a strong case for Pakistan, arguing that the US should help improve its allys maritime security capabilities.
This ship will enhance Pakistans ability to monitor territorial waters, an embassy official said.
Pakistan plays a key role as member of the Combined Task Force 150 of anti-terrorism allies, which conducts maritime security operations in the Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Red Sea and Indian Ocean. Pakistan has twice commanded the force.
The frigate will be refurbished with anti-submarine missile and other latest systems at a cost of 65 million dollar, The News reported. (ANI)
- Pak to get 30-yr-old 65 mln dollar US warship 'free of cost' - Apr 27, 2010
- Pakistan inks deal for US guided-missile frigate - Apr 21, 2010
- US to provide Pak two advanced P-3C Orion naval surveillance aircrafts - Apr 30, 2010
- Pak Navy to acquire 30 year old US frigate for 78 million dollars - Mar 05, 2010
- Pakistan gets US guided missile frigate for $65 mn (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Pak Navy planning massive overhaul, new acquisitions to counter terror challenges - Apr 23, 2010
- Pak to acquire US warship for 65-mln dollars - Apr 21, 2010
- British n-sub in India for naval war game - Oct 07, 2011
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- Indo-US naval wargames begin in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Indian, US navies to conduct joint exercise - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Britain wants sea drones to attack submarines - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: aden gulf, allys, american fleet, arabian sea, departments of state, embassy in washington, embassy official, frigate, george w bush, gulf of aden, gulf of oman, maritime security, mcinerney, oliver hazard perry, pakistani embassy, president george w bush, sea red, security capabilities, security operations, us congress