US sending 3,000 more troops to Afghanistan: ReportsDecember 20th, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 20 (DPA) The US is sending a further 3,000 troops to Afghanistan early next year in support of some 30,000 already there in the conflict with the Taliban, media reports said Saturday.They said Defence Secretary Robert Gates, who will remain in office when Barack Obama takes over as president Jan 20, signed the order in response to a request from General David McKiernan, US and NATO commander in Afghanistan.
Gates ordered the deployment of an additional combat aviation brigade, officials were quoted as saying. They would be equipped with attack and transport helicopters.
Three or four combat brigades would follow in late spring or early summer in response to the request by McKiernan for at least 20,000 extra troops.
- Iran warns US over sending more troops to Afghanistan - Dec 22, 2008
- US adding troops to fight Taliban in Pakistan safe-haven - Feb 18, 2009
- Obama mulls decision on more troops to Afghanistan: Official - Feb 17, 2009
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- Stalemated Afghanistan offensive will need US presence till 2013: Army commander - Feb 19, 2009
- New US general takes NATO command in Afghanistan - Jun 15, 2009
- Obama approves sending 17,000 more US troops to Afghanistan - Feb 18, 2009
- International forces "not winning" their battle against Taliban: ISAF Commander - Mar 09, 2009
- US replacing top commander in Afghanistan - May 12, 2009
- US hails Russia's contribution to Afghan mission - Jun 19, 2012
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- Obama deploys thousands of more troops to Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- U.S. ready to fight information war with Taliban - Jan 28, 2009
- Britain to axe 20,000 troops - Jul 06, 2012
- US commander in Afghanistan warns of Taliban resurgence: Report - Aug 10, 2009