US presidential contest will be competitive in five key statesSeptember 9th, 2008 - 1:04 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept.9 (ANI): Surveys have revealed that the presidential contest between John McCain and Barack Obama will be competitive in the key states of Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
According to Fox News, four of the five state polls show Obama and McCain within three percentage points of each other. In Ohio, however, McCain has a 51 to 44 percent advantage.
Citing the Rasmussen Daily Presidential Tracking Poll as a source for its conclusions, the Fox News report concludes the following:
. That McCain is trusted more than Obama in all five states.
. That Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin draws higher very favorable ratings than any other candidate. . In all states except Colorado, McCain enjoys a bigger margin among Republicans than Obama does among Democrats. In Colorado, they are even.
. Economic issues are the top issue in all five states with national security matters a distant second.
. That the number who would not be comfortable with Obama as president is higher in every state than the number saying the same about McCain.
. That Obama has the edge among unaffiliated voters in three states, McCain in two. Nationally, unaffiliated voters are fairly evenly divided.
. That Pennsylvania has more undecided voters than any other state The report also reveals what are the things to look out for during the contest:
. The most significant thing to watch for in the coming week will be to see if McCains convention bounce expands or recedes.
. It will be interesting to see whether Obama retains an edge in Colorado, which might validate the decision to host his convention in Denver.
. Finally, will McCains higher favorability ratings eventually translate into more votes?
Rasmussen Reports conducted the five state telephone surveys in partnership with Fox News on September 7, 2008. A total of 500 likely voters were interviewed in each state. (ANI)
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- Obama faces uphill climb, swing states poll indicate - Nov 05, 2011
- Prez race still very close in swing states: Rasmussen poll - Sep 16, 2008
- Palin's favorability ratings drop to new low: Poll - Mar 17, 2011
- Obama gains ground in five battleground states - Sep 30, 2008
- Obama leads Romney in 3 swing states - Aug 02, 2012
- Obama widens lead over McCain in three battleground states - Oct 07, 2008
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- McCain narrows gap in six battleground states: Fox-Rasmussen poll - Nov 04, 2008
- Obama leads in three swing states: poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Obama trails in swing states: Opinion poll - Dec 14, 2011
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama leading in key swing state Ohio: FOX News/Rasmussen Poll - Oct 14, 2008