US envoy lauds Indian Govt.’s efforts over evacuation from Libya

March 9th, 2011 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI  

New Delhi, Mar 9 (ANI): The United States Ambassador to India, Timothy J. Roemer, lauding the efforts of the Indian Government for the safe return of Indians from strife-torn Libya, on Wednesday echoed the United States’ resolve to restore normalcy in the region.

“They (Indian Government) have done a very commendable and exemplary job. The United States is also very concerned about the situation in Libya, concerned to see that the will of the people in Libya, the democratic will is reflected there to see; that secondly, the violence ends and to see thirdly, that Gaddafi (Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi) steps aside or is removed,” Roemer told reporters on the sidelines of a conference here.

Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao has said the evacuation of Indians from Tripoli, Benghazi and Sebha will be completed by Thursday

“Evacuation of Indians from Tripoli, Benghazi and Sebha will be completed by Thursday with the pull-out of a little more than 1,700 people,” she tweeted last night on the safe evacuation of Indians from the crisis-ridden Libya.The External Affairs Ministry on Tuesday said that as scheduled, two Air India 747 special flights brought home another batch of about 720 persons from Libya in the past 24 hours as part of ‘Operation Safe Homecoming’.

“MV Red Star One which is at Sirte (Libya) is expected to return to Malta with 170 of our nationals on March 10. They would be flown home on special flights thereafter. With this, all Indians desirous of leaving Sirte would have been moved out,” the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) release said.

MEA officials facilitated the passengers and crew suitably as an Air India flight AI-160 (Airbus 330), on its way to New Delhi from Tripoli with 261 passengers, had to make an unscheduled landing at Malta Airport at 10: 36 p.m. on March 6.

“Air India sent a relief aircraft from New Delhi on Monday, which brought everyone back to New Delhi, in the wee hours of the morning today,” the MEA release said.

“Some 36 evacuation sorties have already been undertaken by special flights arranged by the Ministry so far. The operation would continue, till each and every one of our citizens, desirous of returning, is brought back safely,” the release adds. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe