US entitled to take military action in Pakistans Tribal AreasOctober 4th, 2008 - 11:47 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 4 (ANI): The United States is entitled under international law to take military action in Pakistans Tribal Areas since they no longer lie under the sovereign control of the Pakistani state, according to a US based South Asia expert.
This assertion was made by Stephen Cohen of the Brookings Institution at a ceremony marking the release of a new report on Pakistan by a US working group.
Cohen said that Pakistan does not have sovereignty over its own territories and under international law a third country in this case the US and NATO members states is entitled to take action if it has been attacked from those ungoverned territories.
The action taken must not be disproportionate, the Daily Times quoted Cohen, as saying.
However, he suggested that the United States should work with Pakistan to help it re-establish its sovereignty over the Tribal Areas and take control, something it does not enjoy at present. (ANI)
- US-Pakistan ties close to collapse: Chinese daily - Dec 04, 2011
- Pakistan, US trying to find solution to drone strikes - Jul 05, 2012
- Is Pakistan heading towards global isolation, wonders daily - Dec 13, 2011
- Gilani asks NATO to answer 'disturbing questions' - Dec 13, 2011
- NATO changes stance over cross-border air raids after protest by Pakistan - Sep 28, 2010
- Angry Pakistan rejects NATO regret, China says it's shocked - Nov 28, 2011
- No military takeover in Pakistan, says General Kayani (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Pakistan will defend its territory at all costs: Gilani - Dec 16, 2011
- Malik vows enquiry into NATO attack violating Pak sovereignty - Sep 28, 2010
- Ignoring Pakistan, US defends drone strikes - May 01, 2012
- Violation of Pak's sovereignty "unacceptable," Zardari warns US - Oct 01, 2010
- Pakistan not to attend Bonn conference - Nov 29, 2011
- Pak parliamentarians concerned about airspace violations by NATO - Nov 04, 2010
- Imran Khan declares legal war against US drone attacks in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Qureshi tells US NATO intrusions in Pak 'unacceptable' - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: asia expert, assertion, brookings institution, military action, nato, nato members, pakistan, South Asia, sovereign control, sovereignty, stephen cohen, tribal areas, united states, working group