US drone attacks not violating sanctity of Pak borders, says Defence MinisterJune 6th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Gujrat ( Pakistan ), June 6 (ANI): US troops are not violating the sanctity of Pakistani borders while using pilotless drones to hit Al-Qaeda hideouts in the countrys tribal areas, Pakistan Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar has said.
Apparently justifying the unmanned drone attacks on Pakistani soil, the minister said that the US had claimed to have killed senior Al-Qaeda operatives in Damadola. A drone attack on the village on May 14 claimed 12 lives, who, according to locals, were children and women, while security forces in Afghanistan claimed top Al-Qaeda militants were killed in the fourth attack on the village, he added.
He further said that Al Qaeda operatives should not use Pakistani territory for their militancy.
The minister said that Pakistan Muslim League-N Nawaz Sharif and other coalition partners were evaluating the constitutional package. He said President Pervez Musharraf should fulfill his promise of quitting the Presidency as the PML-Q had lost the elections.
He said the government was working to improve conventional deterrence against its enemies and the armed forces were doing well within the restricted funds provided to them. (ANI)
- US attempt to 'assassinate' Osama bin Laden thwarted: Al-Qaeda - Feb 10, 2011
- Pakistan demands drone technology from US - Jan 23, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- 10 die in drone strike in Pakistan - Feb 08, 2012
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- 21 militants killed in US drone strikes in Yemen - May 13, 2012
- US drone attack kills three militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan district - Jan 12, 2011
- Using drones against Al-Qaeda won't stop new attacks in Europe, US: Jihad expert - Apr 07, 2011
- US drone strikes kill 12 militants in North Waziristan - Aug 15, 2010
- Pak unlikely to get hold of US drone technology - Apr 04, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Taliban stronghold in Bajaur falls, Pak forces plan Khyber offensive - Mar 03, 2010
- US drone attack kills eight militants in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2010
- US drone attack kills 11 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Two killed in latest US drone attack in North Waziristan - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: al qaeda militants, coalition partners, constitutional package, conventional deterrence, defence minister, gujrat pakistan, hideouts, militancy, mukhtar, nawaz sharif, pakistan defence, pakistan muslim league, pakistani territory, pervez musharraf, pml, president pervez musharraf, sanctity, tribal areas, unmanned drone, using pilotless drones