US court summons Congress party on Sikh riots caseMarch 2nd, 2011 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
New Delhi, Mar.2 (ANI): A US Court has issued summons to the Congress party in India to answer charges of ‘conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on the Sikh population in November 1984.
The US court acted on the case filled by the “Sikhs For Justice” (SFJ) a US based human rights group.
Informing from USA, the SFJ’s legal advisor, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, told ANI that the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York had issued summons against Congress (I) for conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on Sikh population of India in November 1984.
The summons against Congress have been issued pursuant to a class action lawsuit filed (SFJ v. Congress (I) SDNY (10 CV 2940)) under Alien Tort Claims Act (ATCA) and Torture Victim Protection Act (TVPA).
Terming the court action as a big achievement of SFJ, Pannun informed that according to the Government of India’s record a total of 3296 Sikhs were killed and several others were injured during the Sikh Genocide in 1984 in through out the India.
According to the US court summons congress (I) party and Kamal Nath has to answer with the court within 21 days and if they fail to respond, judgments by default will be entered against congress (I) party for the relief demanded in the complaint. (ANI)
- US court summons Congress party on Sikh riots case - Mar 02, 2011
- US court to hear 1984 anti-Sikh riots case against Congress - Feb 19, 2012
- Congress seeks time till in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Mar 26, 2011
- US court sets Sep 21 for pre-trial in 1984 riots case - May 31, 2011
- Congress party challenges US jurisdiction in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - May 10, 2012
- US court asks Congress to answer charges on 1984 attacks on Sikhs - Mar 23, 2011
- US Sikh group campaigns against immunity for Kamal Nath - Feb 16, 2011
- Kamal Nath summoned by US court in 1984 Sikh riots case - Jan 23, 2011
- Kamal Nath claims diplomatic immunity in 1984 riots case in US - Jul 01, 2011
- Sikh group to challenge diplomatic immunity for Kamal Nath - Jan 27, 2011
- US reviewing immunity for Kamal Nath in 1984 Sikh riots case - Jan 25, 2011
- US court to hear Kamal Nath's claim to diplomatic immunity - Aug 20, 2011
- Anti-Sikh riot case: Legal process on Kamal Nath role still unfolding: US - Jan 25, 2011
- US court reserves judgement in Kamal Nath case - Sep 22, 2011
- US court gives Congress party two weeks to respond riots case - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: alien tort claims, alien tort claims act, atca, class action lawsuit, congress party, court summons, government of india, human rights group, kamal nath, population of india, ravinder singh, riots, sfj, sikh genocide, sikh population, sikhs, southern district of new york, tort claims act, torture victim, victim protection act