US court dismisses 20 million dollar INOC defamation suitJanuary 18th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.18 (ANI): A 20 million dollar defamation suit filed by the Indian National Overseas Congress (INOC) against the New York Times for publishing an advertisement that maligned its parent party, its president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul, has been dismiised by a US court for the third time.
The full-page advertisement appeared in the New York Times on October 6, 2007, levelling several charges against Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul during the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson’’s visit to the UN.
The case was “dismissed with prejudice”, meaning the matter cannot be tried again, by New Jersey’’s Middlesex County Judge Nicholas J.Stroumtsos on Wednesday.
The defendants in the case were Satya Dosapati, Naresh Sharma, Sunanda Thali, Mahatma Gandhi Centre and Hindu Temple International Foundation, and Hindu International Council Against Defamation.
The INOC had earlier filed two separate cases relating to the advertisement, one in New Jersey and another in New York, seeking 100 million dollars in actual, compensatory, and punitive damages in addition to costs and disbursements, legal fees and other relief that the court might consider proper.
The INOC withdrew the case in New York after the dismissal of the case in New Jersey. But it later filed a third case in Middlesex County by amending the complaint to allege that the Indian National Congress was defamed, instead of Sonia Gandhi.(ANI)
- US court dismisses $20 mn lawsuit against anti-Sonia ad - Jan 16, 2009
- Anti-Sonia advertisement: US court dismisses defamation suit - Aug 16, 2008
- Withdrawal of libel suit for Sonia ad not a defeat: Overseas Congress - Oct 06, 2008
- Badal withdraws defamation cases against Sonia, Amarinder - Oct 30, 2010
- Priyanka stands out in Kashmir Congress posters - Feb 19, 2012
- Dharun Ravi not be deported to India: report - Jun 19, 2012
- India takes up case of child in foster care in US - Sep 11, 2012
- US court gives Congress party two weeks to respond riots case - Mar 16, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits Pune farmers - Aug 18, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi supporters pray outside New York hospital - Aug 08, 2011
- Swamy files complaint against Sonia, NAC - Nov 16, 2011
- Prosecution seeks jail for Indian American Dharun Ravi - May 11, 2012
- Union Carbide not liable in Bhopal case, says US court - Jun 28, 2012
- Dharun Ravi is just a kid: Defence lawyer - Mar 14, 2012
- Before going to jail, Dharun Ravi apologises - May 30, 2012
Tags: chairperson, compensatory and punitive damages, county judge, defamation suit, disbursements, hindu temple, indian national congress, inoc, international foundation, mahatma gandhi, middlesex county, new york times, october 6, page advertisement, progressive alliance, rahul, sonia gandhi, sunanda, temple international, UPA