US accuses Russia of Cold War intimidationNovember 14th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
Brussels/Paris, Nov.14 (ANI): U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has accused Russia of engaging in Cold War brinkmanship through its threats to position nuclear weapons on its European border. Gates claimed that the Kremlin was trying to intimidate President-elect Barack Obama into dropping American plans for a new missile defence system based in Eastern Europe.
He claimed that Russian President Medvedev had threatened to place missiles in Kaliningrad, and added: “such provocative remarks are unnecessary and misguided.
Gates was speaking in Estonia, and hinted strongly that threat to place the short-range Russian missiles, in territory neighbouring the EU countries of Poland and Lithuania, was intimidation.
Russia has said that it will not go ahead with its threat if the new Washington administration climbs down on plans to place 10 missile interceptors in Poland and a missile-tracking radar in the Czech Republic. (ANI)
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- Compromise with US on missile shield possible: Medvedev - Nov 24, 2008
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia says to drop Iskander plans if US scraps missile shield - Mar 03, 2009
- US denies missile-defence plans holding up START - Feb 10, 2010
- US, Russia admit differences over missile shield - Apr 01, 2009
- Russia switches on missile detection radar - Nov 30, 2011
- No strategic significance for Patriot missiles near Russia: Poland - Jan 21, 2010
- 'Russia will reciprocate if US drops missile shield plan' - Nov 13, 2008
- Russia to deploy missiles near Polish border - Nov 05, 2008
- US missile defence aimed at Russian nuclear deterrent: Minister - Feb 07, 2009
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Russian missile deployment plans 'disappointing': US - Nov 06, 2008
- NATO offers missile defence cooperation to India - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: barack obama, border gates, brinkmanship, brussels paris, defense secretary, eastern europe, eu countries, european border, intimidation, kaliningrad, kremlin, medvedev, missile defence system, missile interceptors, nuclear weapons, robert gates, russian missiles, russian president, secretary robert, washington administration