Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothersDecember 19th, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 19 (ANI): The Delhi High Court today upheld a trial court’’s order convicting Sushil and Gopal Ansal in connection with the 1997 Uphaar cinema hall fire tragedy.
However, the High Court reduced the jail term of Ansal brothers, who own the cinema hall, from two to one year.
Justice S Ravinder Bhat who pronounced the verdict rejected the plea of the Association of Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) to enhance the jail term awarded to the Ansal brothers and other convicts.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had refused to review an application filed by the Ansal brothers seeking review of their bail cancellation.
A Delhi Sessions Court on November 23 awarded Gopal and Sushil two years of imprisonment in connection with the Uphaar Cinema hall fire tragedy that left 59 people dead and over hundred people injured.
The brothers were held guilty of criminal negligence in the case.
The tragedy took place on June 13, 1997 during the screening of the Hindi film, “Border.”
The theatre was engulfed when an overheated generator burst in the basement of the building. Men, women and children all scampered to rush out of the four cinema hall exits. (ANI)
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict today - Dec 19, 2008
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Supreme Court refuses to review Ansals` bail cancellation - Oct 23, 2008
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- Ansals guilty in Uphaar fire, says high court, reduces jail terms (Lead) - Dec 19, 2008
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Bailable arrest warrants against Ansal brothers - Aug 13, 2008
- 12 years after Uphaar tragedy, victims' families fight on - Jun 13, 2009
Tags: ansal, bhat, burst, cancellation, cinema hall, conviction, convicts, criminal negligence, delhi high court, fire tragedy, hindi film, imprisonment, jail term, men women, New Delhi, plea, ravinder, sessions court, sushil, trial court