Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict todayDecember 19th, 2008 - 12:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 19 (ANI): The Delhi High Court is likely to pronounce its verdict on appeals filed by the Ansal brothers and other convicts challenging their conviction in the trial court in connection with the 1997 Uphaar cinema hall fire tragedy.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had refused to review an application filed by the Ansal brothers seeking review of their bail cancellation. The Delhi High Court had granted bail to Gopal and Sushil Ansal. The court also granted bail to two other convicts — Shyam Sunder Sharma and H S Panwar in the case.
A Delhi Sessions Court on November 23 awarded Gopal and Sushil two years of imprisonment in connection with the Uphaar Cinema hall fire tragedy that left 59 people dead and over hundred people injured.
The brothers were held guilty of criminal negligence in the case.
The tragedy took place on June 13, 1997 during the screening of the Hindi film, “Border.”
The theatre was engulfed when an overheated generator burst in the basement of the building. Men, women and children all scampered to rush out of the four cinema hall exits. (ANI)
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Supreme Court refuses to review Ansals` bail cancellation - Oct 23, 2008
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothers - Dec 19, 2008
- Uphaar tragedy: Bailable arrest warrants against Ansal brothers - Aug 13, 2008
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar case: Supreme Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Jan 30, 2009
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar case - Jan 30, 2009
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- 12 years after Uphaar tragedy, victims' families fight on - Jun 13, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC grants bail to Ansal brothers - Jan 04, 2008
Tags: ansal, burst, cancellation, cinema hall, conviction, convicts, criminal negligence, delhi high court, fire tragedy, hindi film, imprisonment, men women, New Delhi, sessions court, supreme court, trial court