Uphaar tragedy: Bailable arrest warrants against Ansal brothersAugust 13th, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 13 (ANI): The Supreme Court today issued bailable arrest warrants against the Ansal brothers and two others who were earlier granted bail in connection with the 1997 Uphaar cinema hall fire tragedy.
A bench of Justices B N Aggarwal and G S Singhvi passed the orders on an appeal filed by the Uphaar Victims Welfare Association, challenging the grant of the bail
Responding to complaints that the appeal being heard by the Delhi High Court was getting delayed, the bench asked the association to furnish necessary details.
Earlier, the Delhi High Court granted bail to the owners of Uphaar Cinema hall, Gopal and Sushil Ansal. The court also granted bail to two other convicts — Shyam Sunder Sharma and H S Panwar in the case.
A Delhi Sessions Court on November 23 awarded Gopal and Sushil two years of imprisonment in connection with the Uphaar Cinema hall fire tragedy that left 59 people dead and over hundred people injured.
The brothers were held guilty of criminal negligence in the case.
The tragedy took place on June 13, 1997 during the screening of the Hindi film, “Border.”
The theatre was engulfed when an overheated generator burst in the basement of the building. Men, women and children all scampered to rush out of the four cinema hall exits. (ANI)
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict today - Dec 19, 2008
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: Supreme Court refuses to review Ansals` bail cancellation - Oct 23, 2008
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothers - Dec 19, 2008
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar case: Supreme Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Jan 30, 2009
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar case - Jan 30, 2009
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009
- 12 years after Uphaar tragedy, victims' families fight on - Jun 13, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: aggarwal, ansal, arrest warrants, bench, burst, cinema hall, convicts, criminal negligence, delhi high court, fire tragedy, gopal, hindi film, imprisonment, men women, necessary details, New Delhi, sessions court, supreme court, sushil, welfare association