Uphaar Cinema case verdict todayNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin
The court on September 21 had rejected the Ansal brothers’ plea to file additional written submissions before the trial court.
Dismissing the plea, Justice S N Dhingra had said, “There is no force in the petition”.
“I find no error and infirmity in the judgement of the trial court (which had rejected their plea for submission of additional documents),” Justice Dhingra added.
Four accused - - R. M. Puri, K. L. Malhotra (both senior employees of hall), S. N. Dandona (Executive Engineer of the Public Works Department) and Delhi Fire Services officer Surender Dutt - - have died during the trial.
Among the other accused are R. K. Sharma, Ajit Chaudhary, N. S. Chopra, Manmohan Uniyal, Shyam Sunder Sharma, N. D. Tiwari, Hanswaroop Panwar, B. M. Satija, A. K. Gera and Beer Singh.
All the accused have been charged under Section 14 of the Cinematography Act.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had filed a chargesheet on November 15, 1997, and the court admitted it on January 19, 1998.
The Association of the Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) had lodged an FIR alleging death due to negligence against Gopal and Sushil Ansal.
The CBI had alleged that the accused were directly and criminally negligent in the management of the theatre.
Senior advocate Harish Salve had contended that owners of the cinema hall were liable for penal action.
During the 10-year-old trial, the CBI had examined 115 witnesses. Among them, eight witnesses, termed as relatives of Ansals, have already turned hostile.
Fifty-nine people were choked to death, while 109 survived with injuries after the Uphaar Cinema caught fire leading to a stampede on June 13, 1997.
The theatre was engulfed when an overheated generator burst in the basement of the building. Men, women and children all scampered to rush out of the four cinema hall exits. (ANI)
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar case: CBI clean chit to former cop Amod Kanth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- CBI wants former DCP Amod Kanth prosecuted for Uphaar deaths - Nov 08, 2008
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009
- Uphaar case: Delhi court to announce verdict on November 20 (Update-Uphaar cinema) - Nov 14, 2007
- Uphaar tragedy: Court seeks file on Amod Kanth (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothers - Dec 19, 2008