Uphaar case: Supreme Court grants bail to Ansal brothersJanuary 30th, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 30 (ANI): The Supreme Court has granted bail to the Ansal brothers- Sushil and Gopal who were earlier convicted and sentenced to a year’’s imprisonment in connection with the 1997 Uphaar fire tragedy case.
The bail was sanctioned after both furnished a personal bond of Rs. 10,000 each.
The apex bench, headed by Justice S B Sinha, issued notices on the appeals against the one year sentence filed by the Ansal brothers and Victims of the Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT).
While the Ansal brothers have complained against their imprisonment, the Victims of Uphaar Tragedy had appealed for extending the mere one-year sentence further, as the grave offence fell under the purview of section 304 IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder)
The high court had previously reduced the imprisonment from two years to a year.
The Uphaar Cinema fire, which occurred on June 13, 1997, claimed the lives of 59 people. (ANI)
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Ansals guilty in Uphaar fire, says high court, reduces jail terms (Lead) - Dec 19, 2008
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Apex court grants Ansal brothers bail (Lead) - Jan 30, 2009
- Timeline of the Uphaar fire tragedy case - Dec 19, 2008
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- High court verdict in Uphaar fire case expected - Dec 18, 2008
- 12 years after Uphaar tragedy, victims' families fight on - Jun 13, 2009
- Stay in jail, apex court tells Ansals - Jan 15, 2009
- Ansals cannot disown responsibility for Uphaar fire: CBI to court - Nov 10, 2008
- 12 years on, families of Uphaar victims say justice not done - Jun 12, 2009