UPA Government will honour court verdict on Sethusamudram project: JaiswalNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:23 am ICT by admin
A fresh row erupted last month after the Central Government filed a statement before the Supreme Court on the project, saying that Hinduism’s most important texts are not proof of the existence of Hindu gods.
But the Congress party led ruling coalition backtracked on the ‘affidavit’ the next day and sought three months time from the apex court to file an amended one, following threats of nationwide protests by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollar project, saying it would destroy the ‘holy’ Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
According to the Central Government, research has shown that the Ram Setu was a series of sand shoals created by sedimentation, but according to Hindus the narrow link, also known as Adam’s Bridge, was built by Lord Rama.
The Sethusamudram Project will dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic for ships moving from the Arabian Sea to the Bay of Bengal.
Dredging for the project began in 2005, and the channel — 12 metres deep, 300 metres wide and almost 90 km long — will provide a crucial link between the Palk Bay and the Gulf of Mannar once completed. (ANI)
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Sethusamudram project to go ahead: Baalu - Nov 14, 2007
- Jayalalithaa should approach competent authority on Ram Sethu: Supreme Court - Jan 28, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told - Jul 02, 2012
- Sethusamudram project will be completed by November 2008: Union Shipping Minister - Nov 14, 2007
- Government to examine shorter sea-route, sparing Ram Setu - Jul 30, 2008
Tags: 300, apex court, bay of bengal, bjp, central government, court verdict, crucial, dollar project, hindu gods, hindu groups, hinduism, lord rama, rameswaram, s bridge, sethu, sethusamudram project, setu, sri lanka, true followers, UPA