U.P. sugarcane farmers protest in New DelhiNovember 16th, 2009 - 11:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.16 (ANI): Finding themselves trapped in Central government’s Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) and the Uttar Pradesh State government’s State Advised Price (SAP) mechanism, Sugarcane farmers from U.P. staged a protest in the capital on Monday.
Agitated farmers of the state, which produces half of country’s sugarcane, demanded fair prices for sugarcane crop besides abolishment of FRP policy.
The protesting farmers said they were unhappy with the Central Government’s stipulated price of sugarcane.
Central government has announced a price of Rupees 129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under FRP system.
The Uttar Pradesh government had announced increase of rupees 25 per quintal in the sugarcane SAP for the 2009-10 over last year, raising it to rupees 165 while the farmers wanted rupees 280 per quintal.
“The rate of sugar is Rs 35 per kg, which was Rs 17 last year. So accordingly, the rate of sugarcane should be Rs 280 per quintal,” said Anant Alang, State President, Bharatiya Kisan Union.
According to a recent ordinance, if a State government fixes SAP higher than FRP, it will have to pay the difference. Last year, the SAP was rupees 140.
Uttar Pradesh is among the biggest sugarcane growing states of India.
This year, the worst monsoon in 37 years has ravaged cane fields, creating a shortage for the second consecutive year. (ANI)
- Ajit Singh threatens road blockade on sugarcane price issue - Nov 24, 2009
- Farmers congregate in Delhi to stall winter session of Parliament - Nov 19, 2009
- Farmers gather in New Delhi to protest sugarcane prices - Nov 19, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh sugarcane farmers intensify agitation - Nov 13, 2009
- Farmers disrupt rail, road routes in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 12, 2009
- Farmers vandalise sugar mill offices over sugarcane pricing - Nov 19, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh cane growers damage rail tracks, block roads - Nov 09, 2009
- Samajwadi Party activists court arrest over sugarcane pricing - Nov 16, 2009
- Farmers lay siege to Delhi to protest sugarcane prices (Lead) - Nov 19, 2009
- Lok Sabha adjourned over sugarcane price - Nov 19, 2009
- BJP slams Government's new sugarcane pricing, procurement policy - Nov 19, 2009
- DMK opposes sugarcane pricing ordinance - Nov 19, 2009
- CPI (M) slams Govt for bringing sugarcane ordinance on the eve of new Parliament session - Nov 18, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh cane growers stop trains, damage rail tracks (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- Mayawati urges centre to resolve sugarcane farmers's woes - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: 37 years, abolishment, cane fields, central government, frp, kg, monsoon, New Delhi, protest, quintal, rupees, sap, state government, state president, states of india, sugarcane farmers, uttar pradesh government, uttar pradesh state