UP government warns colleges against jeans banJune 23rd, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, June 23(ANI): The Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday issued a stern notice to all colleges in the state not to impose any ban on jeans for girl students or face punitive actions.
“Action will be taken against any college aided by the Government of UP if anything is done against the law of the land,” said Kamran Rizvi , Education Secretary.
He said the provisions of University Act could be raised to take steps against colleges who impose any kind of dress code on students.
Earlier, Principals of many colleges in Uttar Pradesh had agreed to a proposal to ban students from wearing jeans on campus and work out a dress code for them.
Four colleges, affiliated with Kanpur University, had prohibited their students from wearing jeans. The authorities took the step following several complaints of eve-teasing that were occurring just outside the college gate. (ANI)
- Colleges in Kanpur ban jeans on campuses to check eve-teasing - Jun 09, 2009
- No ban on jeans, Uttar Pradesh government warns colleges (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Kanpur college girls oppose dress code in campus - Jun 23, 2009
- Jeans prohibited on Kanpur college campuses (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh colleges plan to ban jeans, set dress code - Jun 22, 2009
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Women legislators oppose banning jeans on campus - Jun 23, 2009
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- College dress codes should be non-discriminatory: Experts - Aug 22, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Bareilly College women teachers protest dress code - Oct 13, 2010
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010
- Rahul charged with poll code violation, Congress in denial (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- UP moves to make varsities tobacco-free - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: authorities, colleges, dress code, education secretary, eve teasing, girl students, jeans, june 23, kanpur university, principals, proposal, provisions, punitive actions, university act, uttar pradesh government