Unique collection of Nizam’’s photographs in HyderabadMarch 16th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
Hyderabad, Mar 16 (ANI): Mohammed Safiullah, an enthusiastic collector of the rare Nizam photographs in Andhra Pradesh’’s Hyderabad, is the proud owner of the photographs of the seven Nizams who ruled the state for two centuries till Indian independence in 1947.
If 42-year-old historian Safiullah is to be believed, Mir Mohammad Ali Khan was the first Indian ruler to be photographed. According to him, before that, only miniature paintings existed.
He added that the first pictures of the Hyderabad city date back to 1850′’s.
According to Safiullah’’s research, the erstwhile royals used to invite photographers from bigger cities like Bombay and Calcutta.
” I have in my collection roughly about 7000 pictures of Hyderabad between 1850-1950, and I think there are a lot of people also having them. But they normally would not be showing. I have arranged my collection in a systematic manner and written a number of articles on them,” said Safiullah.
Safiullah, has nurtured the hobby of collecting rare photographs and coins since the tender age of 11.
He has a rich collection of more than 7000 pictures of the Nizams and over 20,000 coins that provide information about Hyderabad ever since it started minting coins in 1603 AD. (ANI)
- City Museum depicting Hyderabad's history inaugurated - Mar 12, 2012
- Historical coins gather dust at Nizams museum in Hyderabad - Jul 14, 2008
- Nizam's heirs seek Pakistani intervention to unfreeze bank account (With Image) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sarah Legg overjoyed to get rare 50p coin - Dec 16, 2010
- Unique medieval coin found in Gloucester - Feb 16, 2012
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
- Rare 1793 Penny fetches more than $1 million at Florida auction - Jan 09, 2012
- Who's Who of world signed on his pictures (With Image) - Mar 05, 2011
- Meet a coin collector who spent Rs. 3.5million for hobby! - Sep 21, 2009
- More rare gold coins recovered in Andhra village - Oct 29, 2011
- 150-year-old rare photos from Dalhousie collection on sale - Sep 24, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee releases Rs.150 commemorative coin - Feb 26, 2011
- RBI mulling doubling coins: Pranab - Mar 31, 2012
- Shimla's museum to showcase miniature paintings - Apr 20, 2012
- Most expensive coin on Taj to be released in Paris - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, calcutta, centuries, enthusiastic collector, erstwhile, historian, hyderabad city, indian independence, indian ruler, miniature paintings, minting coins, mohammad ali khan, mohammed, narendra, nizam, photographers, proud owner, rare photographs, systematic manner, tender age