Uneasy calm prevails after bomb blast in Ajmer (Ajmer blast)November 14th, 2007 - 2:07 am ICT by admin
Residents condemned the blast and its executors.
“Whoever has executed this belongs to no religion,” said Abdul Samar.
Sheikh Hasan, another resident, said it was shocking to hear that such a blast had taken place at a holy site.
“The fact that such a blast had taken place at such a big holy site was alarming. It is the blessing of our ancestral religious head, not only on us but also on the whole of India and our Muslim brothers, that a major loss to life and property did not take place,” he said.
Meanwhile, the injured are receiving treatment at a government-run hospital in the city.
“I was not able to make out what had happened, but later I realised that I had hurt myself badly,” said Mohammad Sabi, one of the injured.
Earlier in the day, two people were reportedly arrested in connection with the blast.
According to sources, both hail from Bangladesh.
As the investigation is under progress, a bag suspected to have been holding the bomb was also recovered. Fragments of a mobile phone were also recovered from the site.
A sketch of the suspects is expected to be released by the police today.
The attack came on the eve of Juma’t Al’Vida, the last Friday of the fasting month of Ramzan.
The blast took place at around 6: 15 p.m., when people were readying themselves to break their daylong fast that is observed during the holy month of Ramzan.
The Rajasthan Government has announced a compensation for the blast victims. Rupees five lakh will be give to the nearest kin of the dead, and Rupees one lakh will be given to those injured in the blast.
The Union Home Ministry termed the blast as a terror attack. Officials of the Ministry said that a ‘general advisory’ was already issued in view of the festivals that are round the corner and the Rajasthan Government had taken necessary precautions.
According to eyewitnesses, the bomb was placed in a polythene bag and kept near a tree in the Dargah compound. There were approximately 5000 people inside the shrine complex at the time of blast. (ANI)
- Two held in connection with Ajmer Dargah blast - Nov 14, 2007
- Mecca Masjid blast accused sent to judicial custody - Jan 18, 2012
- Live bomb recovered at Ajmer dargah - Nov 14, 2007
- One held for Ajmer Dargah blast - Apr 30, 2010
- Samjhauta blast accused Aseemanand claims innocence - Apr 22, 2011
- Second Ajmer blast suspect held, sent to police custody (Second Lead, Changing Dateline) - May 01, 2010
- Mecca blast accused sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- 'Terrorists may have used safe house near blast sites' - Jul 16, 2011
- Rajasthan ATS takes custody of Swami Aseemanand - Jan 22, 2011
- Anti-terror sqaud traces car used in Ajmer blast - Dec 25, 2010
- RSS denies its involvement in Ajmer blast - May 01, 2010
- NIA not allowed to question Ajmer dargah blast suspect - Sep 23, 2011
- Two killed in Lahore station blast (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Second suspect held for Ajmer Dargah blast (Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Five killed, 15 injured in Pakistan blast - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: ajmer, bomb, border security force, bsf, fasting month, juma, lakh, muslim brothers, rajasthan government, recovered fragments, religious head, reportedly arrested, rupees, samar, sheikh hasan, strict vigil, uneasy calm, union home ministry