Undeclared curfew in parts of Srinagar ahead of pollDecember 22nd, 2008 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 22 (IANS) Curfew-like restrictions have been imposed in parts of the old city in Srinagar to scuttle anti-poll protests during Wednesday’s balloting in Srinagar for the seventh and final phase of Jammu and Kashmir assembly elections.The curfew like restrictions have been imposed in areas falling under the Nowhatta police station.
Tension was high in the old city Monday a day after anti-poll protests during which the police guards of an independent candidate were roughed up by an unruly mob in Rajouri Kadal locality. The mob had also snatched an automatic rifle from one of the police guards of the candidate and smashed the vehicle in which the cops were travelling.
Police and paramilitary reinforcements were rushed to the spot and two police guards admitted to hospital in serious condition.
“No movement is being allowed in the area and streets have been blocked by concertina wire coils. There is massive deployment of police and paramilitary in the Nowhatta and adjoining localities,” said Muhammad Ayub, a resident of Gojiwara locality.
The separatists’ joint coordination committee has called for a poll boycott in Srinagar and a march to the city centre, Lal Chowk, on Wednesday.
The authorities have a difficult task on hand - to ensure voters are able to move out to exercise their rights and at the same time tackle the situation.
“We have made arrangements to ensure peaceful poll. A strategy has been finalised to ensure things stay calm,” a senior police officer said.
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Stone pelting in Srinagar despite restrictions (Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar again, separatists call shutdown - Jul 11, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Kashmir's Sopore, Baramulla - Jun 29, 2010
- Kashmir Valley under curfew, restrictions - Jul 05, 2010
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
- Paramilitary officer among 10 injured in Srinagar - May 03, 2009
- Curfew-like restrictions in Srinagar to prevent separatist rally - Feb 08, 2010
- Violence continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Rumours of Quran desecration in US fuel Kashmir protests - Sep 13, 2010
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Jul 16, 2010