UN High Commissioner visits NHRCMarch 23rd, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar.23 (ANI): The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms Navanethem Pillay, today visited the National Human Rights Commission of India.
She was welcomed by the NHRC Chairperson, Mr. Justice S. Rajendra Babu.
During her about half an hour stay in the Commission, Pillay held discussions with the NHRC Chairperson, Members and Senior Officers on Human Rights related issues.
She showed keen interest in Commissions activities in its effort to promoting and protecting human rights.
Pillay appreciated that the National Human Rights Commission of India is paying close attention to Economic, Social and Cultural rights of the people.
Later talking to media persons, she said that the National Human Rights Commission of India is very important Commission for the entire region and not just for India.
She said it should work with other National Human Rights Commissions to form a strong body to protect and promote the human rights of the people.
She also appreciated the fact that the National Human Rights Commission of India asserts its independence from the Government and the NGOs while protecting and promoting the human rights. (ANI)
- States should make human rights commissions more effective: NHRC - Aug 17, 2010
- Nevada "Human Rights Day" event opened with Sanskrit mantras - Dec 12, 2010
- UN concerned over drone attacks in Pakistan - Jun 19, 2012
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Afghanistan to get Indian help in upholding human rights (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- NHRC committed to fast disposal of cases: Member - Dec 10, 2011
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC - Apr 27, 2012
- NHRC to support Afghanistan rights efforts - May 06, 2011
- Rights body forms media advisory group - Sep 23, 2011
- UN urges Syria to stop violent crackdowns against protesters - Jun 09, 2011
- NHRC seeks solution on Mayanmarese asylum seekers - May 25, 2012
- NGO misusing its identity, warns rights panel - Dec 02, 2010
- K.G. Balakrishnan may become next NHRC chief - May 12, 2010
- NHRC hosts human rights education conference - Mar 21, 2009
- Eight civilians killed in Sudan's weekend bombings of South Sudan - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: chairperson, commissioner visits, high commissioner, human rights commission, human rights commissions, India, keen interest, media persons, mr justice, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, ngos, nhrc, pillay, protecting human rights, rajendra, un high commissioner for human rights