Uddhav Thackeray nominated to NICJune 4th, 2010 - 9:02 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 4 (ANI): Shiv Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray has been nominated to the National Integration Council (NIC) that was reconstituted on April 5 under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.
“Uddhav Thackeray, Executive President, Shiv Sena has also been nominated to the reconstituted NIC in the category ‘Leaders of Regional Political Parties’, vide order dated June 3, 2010,” a Ministry of Home Affairs release said.
The NIC has 147 members, including Union Ministers, Leaders of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, Chief Ministers of all States and Union Territories with Legislatures.
It also includes leaders of national and regional political parties, chairpersons of national commissions, eminent journalists, public figures, and representatives of business and women’s organisations.
Set up in the early 1960s by former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, the NIC held its first meeting in 1962. The council reviews matters relating to national integration and makes recommendations over such issues.
The NIC aims at finding ways and means to combat the menace of communalism, casteism and regionalism. (ANI)
- Government forms committee to set agenda for NIC meet - Oct 19, 2010
- NIC meeting to discuss ways to curb radicalisation of youth - Sep 10, 2011
- Pranab meets Bal Thackeray, thanks him for support - Jul 14, 2012
- Bal Thackeray blasts Sharad Pawar for 'kids' comment - May 07, 2011
- Narayan Rane's aide rejoins Shiv Sena - Mar 12, 2011
- Uddhav says Digvijay is mad, never mind what granddad wrote - Sep 06, 2012
- Five chief ministers skip NIC meet - Sep 10, 2011
- Bihar politicians slam Uddhav Thackeray - Sep 04, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged after angiography (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Centre reconstitutes National Integration Council - Apr 12, 2010
- Bal Thackeray, Uddhav thunder at Dussehra rally - Oct 18, 2010
- Uddhav Thackeray discharged from hospital - Jul 23, 2012
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012
- Prove bribery allegation or quit, Bal Thackeray dares Chavan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chidambaram appointed chairman of National Integration Council - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: casteism, category leaders, chief ministers, communalism, dr manmohan singh, executive president, former prime minister, integration council, jawaharlal nehru, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, ministry of home affairs, national commissions, national integration, prime minister jawaharlal, rajya sabha, regionalism, shiv sena, thackeray, union ministers