Tytler, Kumar not to contest polls

April 9th, 2009 - 8:57 pm ICT by ANI  

Sonia Gandhi New Delhi, Apr 9 (ANI): The Congress on Thursday announced that senior party leaders and co-accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case- Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar would not contest this year’s general elections.

Kumar was the party’s Lok Sabha candidate from South Delhi, while Tytler was the North-East Delhi nominee.

United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi asked both leaders to withdraw their Lok Sabha candidatures.

All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary Janardan Diwedi said the decision on their replacement would be taken soon.

Earlier in the day, Tytler said he would abide by the party’s decision on him contesting this year’s general elections in the wake of the Sikh community’s protest over his exoneration by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in Delhi.

Tytler, who has contested and won three elections, said no First Information Report (F.I.R) had been filed against him in any police station.

“The CBI only enquired on the basis of affidavits filed. There is no case, but an investigation on the basis of an affidavit. Had there been anything discovered, only then the case could be filed,” he added.

He also criticized the media for all the fuss and confusion created on the matter.

“If I would have fought even this time, I would have won by 2,00,000 votes. I have never lost from any Sikh area during elections previously,” he added.

Tytler announced that if the party decides that he should quit, he would accept the decision.

“I have left it to the Congress President. My heart says if it is not in the interest of the party, I believe I shouldn’t’ fight elections,” said Tytler.

Earlier in the morning, a Kakardooma Court postponed the hearing on the CBI’s plea for closing the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case against Tytler.

The court will hear the arguments from both sides on April 28 and 29.

The court held that all evidence filed pertaining to the case needs to be analysed before taking a decision on the CBI’s final closure report.

During the hearing, the CBI argued that the court did not have the power to take a decision on the investigation done by the agency since the case was related to murder.

The court has also directed the investigating agency to hand over the CDs containing evidence in the case. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |