Tytler apologizes for ’shameful’ 1984 riotsApril 10th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr. 10 (ANI): Congress leader Jagdish Tytler has vowed to apologize “a thousand times” for the “shameful” anti-Sikh riots in 1984.
“I will apologize because it happened in our time. I would apologize a thousand times for what happened to the whole Sikh community. I would say whatever happened was shameful,” a TV news channel quoted him as, saying.
On Thursday, a troubled Congress cancelled the names of leaders Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar from the electoral fray as the ghost of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots returned to haunt the party.
Tytler, who was the Congress candidate in North East Delhi, now holds the then government responsible for the 1984’s blood-shed.
“I would say the people, the administration and the governor, who should have controlled (the situation), did not control at that time,” Tytler said.
The Congress decision comes amid the enraged Sikh community protesting against the CBI decision to give a clean chit to Tytler in 1984 riots.
An incident of shoe-throwing by a Sikh journalist at Home Minister P Chidambaram at AICC press conference further aggravated the situation. (ANI)
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told - Feb 16, 2012
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Congress may review decision over Tytler, Sajjan contesting polls - Apr 07, 2009
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Tytler acquittal triggers uproar in parliament (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 29, 2010