Two more arrested in TISS rape caseApril 17th, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr.17 (ANI): Two of the absconding accused in the TISS rape case were nabbed by the Mumbai police on Friday.
The two accused — Hershverdhan and J S Bhullar — had reportedly escaped to Jamshedpur after the incident.
Five out of the six accused in TISS rape case are now in police custody, but police are yet to bring into custody the one remaining accused.
The six boys, accused of raping the TISS student from the US, never thought that the girl would complain to the police about being sexually abused.
In fact, during their interrogation, the three boys - who have been in police custody since Tuesday, said that the girl behaved so normally after the incident that they didn’t think she would file a police complaint.
They were so emboldened that they even gave the girl a contraceptive pill after the rape, and the fact that she consumed it without saying anything, assured them that she was not going to file a police complaint, a Trombay police officer disclosed.
The victim had gone partying with her hostel-mate, Annie Brown, and five of Browns male friends on Saturday. The group ate and drank at Deonars Cafe XO, where the victim was allegedly forced to drink beyond her capacity, after which she and the five boys proceeded to Andheri. There, the group crashed at the Seven Bungalows flat of a friend - the sixth accused - identified as a certain Kundan Gohain, who is a student at Rajiv Gandhi Engineering College in Versova.
The girl soon fell unconscious and was allegedly raped by the six boys. The boys had decided at Cafe XO itself that they were going to sexually abuse the girl once they reached Andheri. That is why they kept insisting that she drink some more.
According to a Times Now report, the five boys who accompanied the girl from TISS have been identified as Vinamra Soni (a student at Jai Hind college), Jaskaran Singh Bhullar alias Karan (student at HR College), Hershvardhan (student at Sydenham college), Anish Borkataki (student at SP Jain Management and Research Institute) and Darayaus Colabawala (student at Hinduja college, and whom the victim identifies as Devsi).
All the five boys were staying at the International Boys Hostel at Churchgate, the police said.
The Trombay police produced the three accused in the Kurla court on Thursday. The court has remanded them to police custody till April 28. (ANI)
- Sixth accused in TISS student rape arrested - Apr 21, 2009
- Two more arrested for raping American student, one absconding - Apr 17, 2009
- Six Mumbai students accused of raping American acquitted - Oct 06, 2010
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Himachal governor inspects hostel where girls exploited - Feb 12, 2010
- Andhra police question CRPF men for rape - Nov 15, 2011
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Three arrested for Haryana girl's rape, murder (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Crime capital records five rapes in three days - Feb 28, 2012
- Youth arrested for raping minor - Mar 24, 2012
- 18-year-old held for raping, killing minor - Feb 21, 2011
- UP suspends four officials after violence - Jun 26, 2012
- College security supervisor booked for molesting student - Jan 29, 2011
- Andhra Pradesh student alleges sexual assault by school principal - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: absconding, alias, annie brown, bhullar, browns, bungalows, contraceptive pill, engineering college, interrogation, jai hind college, male friends, mumbai police, police complaint, police custody, police officer, rajiv gandhi, rape case, studen, tiss student, xo