Two militants, policeman killed in Kashmir violence (Lead)June 15th, 2009 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 15 (IANS) Two suspected guerrillas were killed in a gunfight with the Indian Army while a policeman was shot dead in a militant ambush in Kashmir, police said Monday.
A civilian car was attacked by suspected militants near the main bus stand at Sopore, 50 km from here, in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district Monday evening. A policeman in the car was killed on the spot and a civilian with him was seriously wounded, a police officer said.
The guerrillas fired indiscriminately, triggering panic and tension in the area, said the officer.
The policeman was identified as Mushtaq Ahmad Fafoo while the injured civilian was identified as Nazir Ahmed Dar.
“His condition is serious and doctors have referred him to Srinagar for specialised treatment,” the officer said.
Security forces surrounded the area and mounted searches.
No group has claimed responsibility for the ambush, which follows last week’s killing of a policeman and a civilian in the town.
Two suspected separatist guerrillas were killed in a fierce north Kashmir gunfight with the Indian Army late Sunday. The gun battle erupted in district Kupwara’s Kumkadi village, 100 km from here, after heavily armed guerrillas fired at an army patrol, a police spokesman said here.
“The security forces returned the fire, triggering a gunfight, at the end of which two guerrillas were killed,” the spokesman said.
Two AK-47 rifles, three grenades, six magazines, 62 rounds, two pouches and a mobile set and a SIM card belonging to the militants were recovered from the shootout site.
- Slain Hizbul commander behind 30 civilians' killings: Army - Oct 14, 2011
- Two separatist guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Oct 12, 2011
- Cop killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 26, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 15, 2009
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - May 05, 2012
- Gunfight in Kashmir - Sep 01, 2012
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Militant killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 09, 2011
- Terrorists kill civilian in south Kashmir village - Jan 24, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed, army major injured in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Policeman, militant killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 05, 2012
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Two LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 16, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: ahmad, ahmed, ak 47, ambush, army patrol, civilian car, grenades, gun battle, gunfight, indian army, kashmir, militants, north kashmir, police officer, police spokesman, policeman, pouches, rifles, separatist guerrillas, sim card