Two killed, four wounded in Sopore guerrilla attackMarch 16th, 2010 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 16 (IANS) Two people were killed and four others injured when separatist guerrillas attacked a police patrol in north Kashmir’s Sopore town Tuesday evening, officials said.
A civilian and a policeman were killed, while three civilians and a policeman were wounded in the attack that took place in Sopore town, 54 km from here.
“Militants fired at a routine police patrol in Sopore town today (Tuesday) evening near the local bus stand,” a senior police officer said.
“One special police officer (SPO) named Ishaq Hussain and a civilian were killed in the militant firing while three civilians and a police constable have been injured,” he added.
The injured have been shifted to the hospital for treatment as re-inforcements of police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been rushed to the area which has been cordoned off.
This is the second separatist guerrilla attack in Kashmir Tuesday.
Earlier in the day, guerrillas attacked CRPF guards in Lal Chowk, the bustling Srinagar city centre.
One civilian was killed and four people — two civilians and two CRPF troopers — were wounded in the Lal Chowk attack.
Security forces across Kashmir have been put on high alert in the wake of the renewed guerrilla activities in recent days.
- Three killed, eight injured in Kashmir attacks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- Security personnel killed, another injured in Kashmir attack - Sep 08, 2012
- Two cops killed, one injured in Kashmir ambush (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- SPO shot at in Kashmir's Sopore - Aug 24, 2011
- Policeman injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Jul 31, 2012
- Guerrillas attack paramilitary camp in Sopore - Sep 14, 2011
- Guerrillas open fire in cop's home in Kashmir - Jul 19, 2011
- Militants attack district police chief's convoy in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Kashmir police convoy attacked, five injured (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Three killed in Kashmir attack - Feb 05, 2010
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Three cops wounded in south Kashmir ambush - Dec 22, 2009
- Two killed in Kashmir attack (Lead) - Feb 05, 2010
- Militant killed, soldier hurt in Kashmir - Jun 25, 2010
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: chowk, civilians, crpf, guerrilla attack, hussain, kashmir, lal, local bus, north kashmir, police constable, police force, police patrol, policeman, reserve police, routine police, security forces, separatist guerrillas, special police officer, srinagar city, tuesday evening