Two Indians receive Canada’s Vanier scholarshipsJune 4th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 4 (ANI): Two Indian doctoral students have found place among 37 international researchers who will receive Canada’s highly prestigious Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
The awards will entitle them to 50,000 dollars each per year for up to three years to pursue doctoral studies at Canadian universities.
The two Indian recipients of the scholarships for 2009 are Niladri Chattopadhyay, who will pursue cancer research at the University of Toronto, and Atam Kapoor who will work in the field of chemical engineering at the University of Alberta.
The awards, announced recently in Canada, proclaimed 166 recipients for 2009. Once at full capacity, the program will support up to 500 new students annually.
The Canadian Government recently began the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, which is on par with renowned scholarships as the Rhodes scholarships in the United Kingdom and the Fulbright scholarships in the United States.
Announcing the scholarships in Ottawa, Canada’s Minister of State (Science and Technology) Gary Goodyear, said: “The recipients of these scholarships are the world’s leading doctoral students and the next generation of researchers, professors and industry leaders who will make considerable economic and social contributions in Canada and abroad.
To apply for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, students must be nominated by a recognized Canadian university.
Nominees will be evaluated solely on academic excellence, research potential and leadership ability, and then the scholarship will be awarded after a competitive process that includes a two-stage peer review.
Through this scholarship, doctoral studies can be pursued in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering and health. (ANI)
- Two Indian students get Canadian scholarships - Jun 04, 2009
- Canada announces Banting Fellowships - Jul 14, 2010
- 51 Canadian fellowships for Indian graduate students - Nov 10, 2010
- India grants scholarships to Sri Lankan students - Jan 19, 2012
- Canadian universities providing fellowships for Indian students - Nov 10, 2010
- Indian researcher gets $10,000 Commonwealth scholarship - Jul 28, 2011
- 4 Indian Americans named Rhodes Scholars - Nov 22, 2010
- Britain offers 100 scholarships to Indian students - Nov 16, 2011
- Our brain keeps growing well into our 20s - Sep 23, 2011
- Pakistani scholarships for 600 Afghan students - Jul 01, 2012
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships announced - Feb 04, 2011
- Canada is partner country at FICCI Higher Education Summit 2008 - Nov 18, 2008
- `Canada must aim to attract top Asian students' - Aug 10, 2012
- Seafood could carry toxic levels of mercury - Apr 28, 2011
- Three students bag Manmohan Singh scholarship at Cambridge - Feb 02, 2010
Tags: atam, canadian universities, cancer research, doctoral students, doctoral studies, excellence research, fulbright scholarships, graduate scholarship, graduate scholarships, international researchers, leadership ability, minister of state, ottawa canada, rhodes scholarships, scholarship students, sciences engineering, social contributions, state science, university of toronto, vanier