Two-headed tortoise found on a farm in China!September 14th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 14 (ANI): A two-headed tortoise has left aquarium staff stunned after taking advantage of his disability to consume twice as much food as his siblings.
The unusual case of a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise, born two months ago in an incubator, made the headlines in various papers on Friday.
Workers at the Water World aquatic farm at Wuwei town in Anhui, eastern China, were shocked to discover the unusual creature after they ordered a shipment of baby tortoises from a local farm.
Initially they were worried that the tiny 0.6oz (17g) mutant reptile would not survive, but it soon began to overtake its brothers and sisters in size.
“We got it two weeks ago and it’’s growing fast, probably because it can eat twice as fast as the others. It was mixed among many other tortoises and we only discovered it this week, Telegraph quoted Water World spokesman Jimmy Hu, as saying.
“It’’s very rare to see a tortoise with two heads, we plan to keep it and raise it carefully for future research, Hu added. (ANI)
- A hard case to crack - May 31, 2011
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
- Two-headed pig born in Russia - Jul 26, 2012
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Great-grandmother' of crocodiles that lived 225mn yrs ago found - Jan 14, 2011
- Steyn, Morkel to shark dive with World Cup trophy - Nov 08, 2010
- New species of giant crayfish found in Tennessee and Alabama - Jan 20, 2011
- Fossilized primitive pregnant lizard found in China - Jul 21, 2011
- Why geckos have 'superglue' feet - Oct 18, 2010
- Teaching a tortoise to yawn, now that's research! - Oct 06, 2011
- How giant tortoises, alligators thrived in High Arctic 50m years ago - Aug 25, 2010
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011
- Millions affected in drought hit China - Jan 29, 2011
- Now, crocodiles are Bangladesh's new export item - Jun 05, 2010
- 66mn-yr-old 'bizzare' croc 'may have been a vegetarian' - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: anhui, aquarium staff, baby tortoises, brothers and sisters, disability, eastern china, future research, headlines, incubator, jimmy hu, local farm, reptile, siblings, spokesman, spur thighed tortoise, tortoise, tortoises, two headed tortoise, two heads, water world