Two dozen injured in clashes in Jammu and KashmirApril 10th, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 10 (IANS) Over two dozen people were injured in clashes after Friday prayer between stone pelting mobs and security forces in this state summer capital and Baramulla town.
Dozens of protesters carried out a peaceful march through the city centre of Lal Chowk against the apex court’s decision imposing ban on sporting a beard by a student in an educational institution in Madhya Pradesh.
The protesters alleged that the decision was a direct interference in the religious rights of Muslims.
Later, stone pelting mobs clashed with the police and the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force in old city areas of Rajouri Kadal, Nowhatta and Kawdara.
An agitated mob also torched a scooter belonging to a cop and severely beat him up in Nowhatta area.
Police used batons and tear-smoke shells to disperse the mobs at these places. Around a dozen protesters and security men were injured in these clashes.
A stone pelting mob also clashed with the police in Baramulla town in which around a dozen people, including protesters and policemen, were injured.
Meanwhile, hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani addressed a small gathering of supporters in Jahanjir Chowk adjacent to Lal Chowk Friday.
Geelani asked people to boycott the Lok Sabha elections. “No power on earth can force us to vote in these elections,” he said.
Earlier, he had given a slip to the police who had gathered around his uptown Hyderpora residence to prevent him from joining any protests in the city.
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar after youth's death - Jun 12, 2010
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Over three dozen injured in day-long Srinagar protests (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Two dozen injured in Srinagar protests (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Over a dozen injured in Srinagar clashes (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Geelani arrested, dozens injured in Valley clashes (Night Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Violence continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- 13 people injured in police-protester clashes in Kashmir - May 10, 2010
- Three dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- 30 injured in day-long clashes in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- Violent protests in Kashmir Valley, dozens hurt - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: apex court, chowk, city areas, clashes, dozen protesters, educational institution, geelani, jammu and kashmir, lal, lok sabha elections, madhya pradesh, mobs, peaceful march, police force, power on earth, religious rights, reserve police, security men, separatist leader, srinagar