Two-day nationwide bank strike from todaySeptember 24th, 2008 - 12:11 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Sept 24 (ANI): Over nine lakh bank employees are going on a two-day strike from today demanding settlement of issues like wage revision and termination of job outsourcing in banking sector among other things.
Normal banking transactions are likely to be disrupted across 50,000 branches, including about 15,000 branches of the State Bank of India (SBI) and its six associate banks.
The conciliatory talks held here yesterday between the Indian Banks Association (IBA) and the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) under the aegis of Chief Labour Commissioner (CLC), S.K. Mukhopadhya, failed to yield any results. We have decided to implement the strike on September 24 and 25 as planned. IBA could not offer the commitments that we had sought, said C.H. Venkatachalam, Convenor, UFBU.
The UFBU, comprising nine all-India unions and organisations, is protesting the Governments policy of privatisation and consolidation. It asked the IBA to give a timeframe for resolving the bank unions demands on wage revision, pension option and compassionate appointment.
The unions are protesting merger and consolidation in the banking sector. Besides the merger, other demands include settlement of issues like wage revision, second option for pension scheme, termination of job outsourcing in the banking industry and immediate appointments in the Class IV cadre. (ANI)
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Banks strike enters second day - Sep 25, 2008
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- 46 Indian banks' staff get pay hike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- 2 day bank strike from today - Aug 06, 2009
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- New wage settlement for bank employees - Apr 27, 2010
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Banker's strike enters second day, operations affected - Aug 07, 2009
Tags: aegis, bank of india, bank unions, banking industry, banking sector, clc, convenor, indian banks association, labour commissioner, lakh, merger and consolidation, nationwide bank, pension scheme, sbi, state bank, state bank of india, ufbu, united forum, venkatachalam, wage revision