Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firingAugust 7th, 2012 - 10:17 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 7 (IANS) Two Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers were seriously injured in firing from the Pakistani side of the International Border and Line of Control near here Monday night, officials said.
A BSF official said Pakistani troops fired heavily at Pansar post in Hiranagar sector on the International Border, about 90 km from here.
He said two soldiers who were patrolling the area were injured in the firing.
“The fire was heavy and appeared to target the patrol party,” the official said.
The BSF soldiers retaliated to the firing, leading to heavy exchange of fire between the two sides which continued late into the night.
The injured were evacuated from the site of firing and rushed to the District Hospital in Samba.
The soldiers are Bhuvneet Singh, a native of Gurdaspur in Punjab, and Hari Mohan, a native of Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh. Their condition is stated to be critical.
In another incident, the Pakistan Army resorted to heavy firing in Kirni sector in Poonch on the Line of Control, about 240 km from here.
“The firing appeared an attempt to give cover to infiltrators,” said an army spokesperson.
The Indian side retaliated in both the cases, “to silence Pakistani gun”.
The incident comes a day after Pakistani Rangers fired at a post in the Arnia sector on the International Border near Jammu.
Security and vigil on the international border and LoC has been tightened ahead of Independence Day on Aug 15 when militants usually make attempts to strike.
- BSF trooper injured in firing by Pakistani Rangers - Dec 30, 2011
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces trade fire, infiltration foiled (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - May 01, 2010
- Pakistani Rangers fire at Indian posts in Jammu - Aug 06, 2012
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- BSF trooper killed in Pakistan firing - Feb 24, 2010
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- BSF officer killed in firing from Pakistan side - Sep 20, 2011
- BSF trooper killed in cross border firing in Jammu - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: army spokesperson, attempts, border security force, bsf official, gurdaspur, independence day, international border, kanpur, loc, mohan, monday night, pakistan army, pakistani rangers, pakistani troops, poonch, punjab, samba, two soldiers, uttar pradesh, vigil