Two arrested in plot to kill Obama, other BlacksOctober 28th, 2008 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 28 (ANI): Federal authorities in Tennessee have announced that they had arrested two alleged White supremacists who reportedly were planning a killing spree that would end with the assassination of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.
Daniel Cowart (20) of Bells and Paul Schlesselman (18) of West Helena, were charged in US District Court in Jackson, Tennessee, with the illegal possession of a sawed-off shotgun, conspiracy to rob a gun store and making threats.
In court records unsealed on Monday, federal agents said they broke up plans to rob a gun store and target a predominantly African-American high school by two neo-Nazi skinheads. Agents said the skinheads did not identify the school by name, FOX News reported.
A source in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said that the two skinheads, who were picked up in Crockett County, were plotting to shoot 88 black students — and decapitate 14.
The source said officials believe the suspects were planning to attempt an assassination against Obama. The numbers 88 and 14 are symbolic in the White supremacist community.
But officials could not describe how advanced or credible the plot was.
Jim Cavanaugh, special agent in charge of the Nashville field office for the ATF, said the suspects also sought to go on a national killing spree, with Obama as its final target.
They said that would be their last, final act — that they would attempt to kill Obama, Cavanaugh said. They didnt believe they would be able to do it, but that they would get killed trying.
According to the affidavit, the suspects planned to drive their vehicle as fast as they could toward Obama shooting at him from the windows.
The court document states that the suspects planned to dress in all-white tuxedos and top hats during the assassination attempt, and that they stated they were willing to die during this attempt.
A senior Obama campaign official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said no one in the campaign was notified of the plot before Mondays announcement. Campaign officials say they do not believe the plot posed a serious threat to the Democratic nominee. (ANI)
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to planning 'killing spree' in a 2008 plot - Mar 31, 2010
- Plot to assassinate Obama is foiled - Oct 28, 2008
- Two white supremacists face charges in Obama murder plot - Nov 06, 2008
- Daniel Cowart Pleads Guilty For Planning Attack On Presidential Candidate Barack Obama - Apr 03, 2010
- Plea Agreement For Two Americans Involved In A Plot Designed To Cause Obama's Death - Apr 03, 2010
- British bookmaker rejects bets on Obama assassination - Nov 08, 2008
- Phone call from concerned parent nixed plot to kill Obama - Oct 30, 2008
- Obama faces 30 death threats a day - Aug 04, 2009
- Man arrested for Barack Obama assassination threat - Jan 17, 2009
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- James Von Brunn Identified as Holocaust Museum Shooter - Jun 11, 2009
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Obama to visit victims of Batman movie shooting - Jul 22, 2012
- Putin unaffected by assassination plot - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: alcohol tobacco firearms, bureau of alcohol tobacco firearms, bureau of alcohol tobacco firearms and explosives, campaign official, court document, democratic presidential nominee, federal authorities, final target, fox news, gun store, illegal possession, jim cavanaugh, killing spree, neo nazi skinheads, sawed off shotgun, top hats, west helena, white supremacist, white supremacists, white tuxedos