Two Amarnath pilgrims dead, 35 hurt as bus falls into gorgeJune 18th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 18 (IANS) Two Amarnath pilgrims were killed and 35 injured Wednesday morning when the bus they were travelling in skidded off the road and fell into a gorge near Nagrota on the Jammu-Srinagar highway, the police said. The injured have been shifted to the Government Medical College hospital Jammu for treatment. Five of them are in critical condition.
All the pilgrims were from Jammu city, the police said.
“These pilgrims were the first to take part in Sudh Mahadev mela (a festival in a mountainous area in Udhampur district, where it is believed that Lord Shiva and Parvati were married) and then they were to proceed to the Amarnath shrine,” a police official said.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known, the police said.
The second batch of the Amarnath pilgrims had to wait for their onward journey at Samroli, about 80 km from Jammu, for three hours as landslides caused by rains had blocked the highway.
“Now the landslide has been cleared and the traffic is moving,” the police official said.
- 15 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- Six Amarnath pilgrims killed in road accident - Jul 03, 2010
- 16 Amarnath pilgrims killed as truck falls into gorge (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Over dozen Amarnath pilgrims injured in cane charge - Jul 02, 2011
- 16 pilgrims killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2012
- 10 killed, 20 injured in Jammu and Kashmir accident - Mar 15, 2011
- 16 pilgrims killed after truck falls into gorge in India - Jul 28, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway cleared of stranded passengers - Jan 09, 2012
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- Another batch of 2,166 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: amarnath pilgrims, amarnath shrine, critical condition, government medical college, journey, landslide, landslides, lord shiva, mahadev, medical college hospital, mountainous area, police official, shiva and parvati, traffic, wednesday morning