Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern IraqDecember 18th, 2008 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Dec 17 (DPA) Turkish warplanes hit suspected Kurdish separatist positions in northern Iraq Wednesday, the second bombing run in two days, according to the Turkish military.According to a short statement on the official website of the General Staff, war planes at around midday bombed suspected Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) positions in the Kandil region of northern Iraq, near the Iraqi border with Iran.
“After successfully completing their missions, our planes returned safely to their bases,” the statement said.
The statement said the only aim of the raids were PKK targets and that precautions were taken not to harm civilians.
The PKK uses mountainous northern Iraq as a base from which to launch attacks inside Turkey.
Ankara blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 35,000 people since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated south-east of Turkey.
The PKK is considered by the United States and the European Union to be a terrorist group.
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Abductions highlight Turkey's ongoing civil conflict - Jul 15, 2008
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish planes hit Kurdish targets in Iraq - Dec 29, 2008
- Turkish air force strikes Kurdish rebel positions in Iraq - May 03, 2008
- 38 killed in PKK attack on Turkish border posts - Oct 04, 2008
- Turkish military plane crashes in Mediterranean - Jun 22, 2012
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in Iraq - Apr 16, 2008