Tripura orders probe into death of two people in BSF firingJanuary 21st, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 21 (IANS) The Tripura government Wednesday ordered a magisterial probe into an incident of firing by the Border Security Force (BSF) in which two people were killed and five wounded.”Our police chief has already spoken to the BSF authorities and conveyed the state government’s view that security forces must not open fire unless the situation gets out of hand,” Chief Minister Manik Sarkar told reporters.
He added that the report of the magisterial inquiry ordered by his government would be submitted within 10 days.
“The chief secretary will send a detailed report to the union home ministry and the BSF chief. BSF jawans should try to detain criminals or miscreants before pulling the trigger,” the chief minister said.
Two civilians were killed and five more, including a paramilitary trooper, were injured Monday when BSF troopers opened fire after a clash with a mob at Boxanagar in west Tripura, bordering Bangladesh.
The incident took place when BSF troopers went to the village to nab some marijuana smugglers.
“The villagers, including women, attacked the BSF jawans after the troopers seized a huge quantity of ganja (marijuana) and caught some smugglers. The paramilitary personnel were forced to open fire in self-defence, killing Amir Hussain, 33, and Mahabul Mia, 30, on the spot,” A BSF spokesman said.
“The smugglers equipped with country-made guns and sharp weapons along with villagers tried to overpower the five troopers who, acting on a tip-off, had gone to the spot to seize the ganja and catch the smugglers,” he added.
- Two villagers killed, five injured in BSF firing in Tripura - Jan 19, 2009
- Tripura village tense as man killed in BSF firing - Nov 30, 2010
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing, Tripura border village tense - Jan 27, 2011
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- Indian's killing: Bangladesh given custody of border guard - Jan 21, 2012
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Trio throws heroin packets into India, flees: BSF - Feb 24, 2012
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Two BSF troopers killed by terrorists in Tripura - Aug 06, 2010
- Narcotic smuggler killed along India-Pakistan border - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: border security force, bsf, chief minister, chief secretary, civilians, hussain, jan 21, magisterial inquiry, manik, marijuana, miscreants, police chief, sarkar, security forces, self defence, smugglers, state government, tripura government, union home ministry, west tripura