Tripura launches Kathak Yatra to revive classical dance formMarch 12th, 2009 - 10:21 pm ICT by ANI
By Pinaki Das Agartala, March 12 (ANI): Tripura is making an endeavor to revive Indian classical dance through various festivals in a big way.
Recently, a three-day classical dance festival Kathak Yatra was organised at Nazrul Kalakhetra in Agartala. It witnessed enthusiast participation of local artistes from the region.
Kathak Yatra turned out to be a great entertainment and visual treat for classical dance lovers in the State. It featured Kathak artists from the region and across the country who depicted gods in various dancing postures while performing the characters of mythological stories.
The festival provided a platform to the aspiring artistes to showcase their talent.
Music is one medium that can brings peace. If one has interest in music, such programmes and festivals can be organized. This way peace will be restored, said Bipul Das, a Kathak dancer from Assam.
Our aim is to popularize the art form and propagate. This is only a Kathak Kendra. We have to perform to get the interest of the audiences. And here weve also involve the local artists as well, said Gitanjali Lal, the organizer.
Sponsored by the Sangeet Natak Academy’’s constituent body Kathak Kendra and Tripura Cultural affairs department attracted a large number of people. Such initiatives, which are rare in the region, have put a new thought and given new life to the classical art forms. (ANI)
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Never retired, never stopped dancing, says Birju Maharaj at 74 (Interview) - Feb 23, 2011
- Never retired, never stopped dancing, says Birju Maharaj at 75 (Lead, Interview) - Feb 23, 2011
- Arts, sports bring best of India to Delhi's culture street - Oct 11, 2010
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- 33 young artists honoured with Bismillah award - Aug 11, 2010
- President hosts BRICS leaders at cultural soiree, banquet - Mar 28, 2012
- Northeast artistes hold audience spellbound at Dill Haat - Oct 18, 2010
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Hema Malini, daughters to perform at Khajuraho festival - Jan 31, 2011
- Odisha festival in Tripura to commemorate 'Utkal Divas' - Apr 01, 2012
- NSD reaches out to northeast for unearthing talent - Nov 18, 2011
- The face of India at Edinburgh fest (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Jasraj, Lagoo, Amonkar get Sangeet Natak Akademi awards - Sep 28, 2010
- Culture diplomacy: Delhi set for 10-day global arts fest - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: agartala, art forms, classical art, constituent body, cultural affairs department, dance festival, dance form, dance lovers, gitanjali, great entertainment, indian classical dance, kathak dancer, kathak kendra, local artistes, local artists, new thought, postures, sangeet, talent music, yatra