Trinamool leader and ex-Union Minister Ajit Panja deadNovember 14th, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Nov.14 (ANI): Former Union Minister and senior Trinamool Congress leader Ajit Panja died of cancer at a private hospital in Kolkata on Friday morning. He was 72 and is survived by his son and daughter.
Hospital sources said that Panja, who was admitted on October 26, breathed his last at 4.30 a.m.
He was born in Kolkata in 1936 and studied in the Scottish Church College and Lincoln’’s Inn. He was a member of Supreme Court Bar Association and Calcutta High Court Bar Association. A lawyer by profession, Panja was a six-time MP and a former union minister. He was also a brilliant actor who essayed the role of Ramakrishna Paramhans on stage effectively.
Panja was elected to the West Bengal Assembly in 1971 for the first time and was Minister for Health and Family Planning in the Siddhartha Shankar Ray Government from 1972 to 1977. He became the president of the Congress party unit in West Bengalin 1980. In 1984,he was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Calcutta North East constituency.
He held a number of portfolios in the Rajiv Gandhi Government including that of Minister of State for Planning in 1985 and Minister of State for Food and Civil Supplies in 1986. He also held independent charge of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry from 1986 to 1988 and was Minister of State for Finance as well. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh condoles the demise of Ajit Panja - Nov 15, 2008
- Former union minister Ajit Panja is dead (Lead) - Nov 14, 2008
- Ex-ambassador to US S.S. Ray dead (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- S.S. Ray accorded a state funeral - Nov 07, 2010
- Second generation politicians contest Bengal polls - May 04, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee slams Centre for not honouring late WB Chief Minister - Nov 21, 2010
- S.S. Ray - an administrator par excellence (Obituary) - Nov 07, 2010
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- CPI-M mouthpiece attacks Ray even after death - Nov 07, 2010
- Ray should have been cremated with full state honours: Pranab - Nov 21, 2010
- Mamata tells PM: roll back petrol prices - Jun 02, 2012
- Inter-party clashes on in West Bengal: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Bengal minister urges Pranab to reconsider gold duty hike - Mar 24, 2012
- Dhaka's Ramakrishna Mission chief dead - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: ajit, brilliant actor, calcutta high court, congress leader, congress party, east constituency, hospital sources, kolkata, Lok Sabha, minister of state, panja, private hospital, rajiv gandhi, scottish church, siddhartha, son and daughter, supreme court bar, trinamool congress, union minister, west bengal