Tribesmen claim clearing Bajaur Agency of militantsOctober 8th, 2008 - 1:23 pm ICT by ANI
Khar, Oct 8 (ANI): The Salarzai tribe in Bajaur Agency, which had resolved at a jirga last week not to allow foreigners to enter the area, has claimed that their area had been cleared of militants and that now it was for the Pakistan government to re-establish its writ and deploy more security forces.
Tribal elders and Ulema attended the jirga which also decided that the Salarzai lashkar would continue its campaign against militants. Teams comprising 200 armed volunteers were set up for night patrolling in the main areas of Salarzai, including Upper Madak, Lower Madak, Upper Sadin and Lower Sadin .
Tribal elder Malik Habibullah Khan said that most of the areas had been cleared of militants and their supporters and some elements, who were still in Banda, would soon be eliminated.
The administration should now deploy the Levies and paramilitary personnel to set up checkposts, the Dawn quoted him as saying.
The jirga declared that the militants were enemies of the people of Bajaur and the country and they would not be allowed to resume their activities. Anyone being in contact or having social interaction with the militants will be considered enemy of the Salarzai tribesmen. He will be fined Rs1 million and will be expelled from the area, decided the tribesmen jirga. (ANI)
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- Twenty-four militants killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2009
- Pakistani soldiers, woman executed for illicit relations - Nov 02, 2011
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Pak security forces kill 18 Taliban in Bajaur Agency - Nov 04, 2008
- Five civilians killed in Pak military shelling in Bajaur Agency - Sep 26, 2008
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- 23 militants surrender in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- 15 Taliban killed as Pak troops target their hideouts in Bajaur - Oct 21, 2008
- Obama condemns 'outrageous' suicide attack in northwestern Pak - Dec 26, 2010
- Blast in Pakistan's Bajaur kills three, 22 injured - Jan 21, 2010
- North Waziristan elders declare jihad against US as revenge for drone attacks - Mar 19, 2011
- Gujjars demand steps for protecting Jirga system in Kashmir - Sep 19, 2011
- Suicide attack in Pakistan affront to humanity: Obama (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: dawn, elements, enemies, foreigners, habibullah khan, khar, lashkar, levies, militants, pakistan government, sadin, security forces, social interaction, tribal elders, tribe, tribesmen, ulema, volunteers, writ