Transport operators on strike in Assam over hiked fuel pricesJuly 3rd, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
Assam July 3: (ANI) Public transport operators in Assam are on strike in protest against hike in fuel prices. Vehicles such as taxis, auto-rickshaws and trekker station wagons remained off the roads in Guwahati, the state’s principle city.
Although the government has not increased fares, the Assam Bus and Trekker Station Wagon Association increased the fares on their own citing a federal government move to hike the prices of petrol and diesel.
Auto-rickshaw and van drivers have been exploiting the situation by over charging passengers.”I had been waiting for a bus, but today all buses are off the road, and autos are asking for high rates that we cannot pay,” said Bornali Meich, Guwahati resident.
Shyam a worker at petrol pump, said there has been a 20 percent hike in fares, which people have refused to pay.
“The fares of bus and trekkers have been increased due to a rise in the price of petrol and diesel. The public is facing a lot of problems. The sale is also less in our petrol pump today,” he added.
Earlier, Chandan Brahma, Assam’s Transport Minister, said the fare raised by the bus and trekker station wagon owners is illegal and warned that, the government would take action. (ANI)
- People suffer as public transport remains off the road in Guwahati - Jul 02, 2010
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Petrol price hike angers Kashmiris - May 24, 2012
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Transport strike across Kerala hits trade, passengers - May 20, 2011
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour Bengal transport strike, Mamata fumes (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Mumbai taxis, auto-rickshaws on strike - Jun 22, 2010
- West Bengal's bus, taxi operators demand fare hike (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- CITU vehicular strike in Tripura over fuel price hike - Mar 02, 2010
- Mamata warns officials against taking part in transport strike (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: assam, auto rickshaw, buses, diesel auto, federal government, fuel prices, government move, petrol, principle city, protest, public transport operators, rickshaws, station wagon, station wagons, taxis, transport minister, trekker, trekkers, van drivers