TRAI says mobile number portability by Oct.31August 12th, 2010 - 5:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.12 (ANI): Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman J.S. Sarma on Thursday announced that citizens of the country would have access to mobile number portability (MNP) from October 31.
“There will be no further delay in the implementation of MNP,” Sarma said.
MNP is a service that allows a mobile user to change his operator while retaining the number.
The Department of Telecom (DoT) said operators must ensure that all inter-operator tests for porting the numbers from one service provider to another are completed before September 1, 2010, and in case they fail to meet this deadline, they will be barred from launching any new commercial services from September 1.
The announcement comes as key mobile service providers — Bharti Airtel, Reliance, Vodafone Essar, Tata Tele, Idea, STel and Aircel — are getting ready to launch high-speed 3G services from next month.
State-owned telcos Bharat Sanchar Nagar Nigam and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited have said they are ready with the infrastructure to implement the MNP service.
The MNP was to be implemented by December 31, 2009 in all metros and in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. The deadline was forwarded to March 31, 2010 and then to June 30, 2010. (ANI)
- Mobile number portability will be rolled out from Oct 31 - Aug 12, 2010
- India has 706 million mobile connections: TRAI - Dec 27, 2010
- BSNL ready for mobile number portability - Sep 10, 2010
- You can change your mobile operator but retain number - Nov 25, 2010
- STel, Etisalat told to restore services till licence expires - Apr 11, 2012
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- TRAI 2G pricing norms by October-end (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- Blow to government as court quashes Raja's 122 phone licences (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Mobile number portability postponed to Oct 31 - Jun 30, 2010
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
- GSM phone subscribers grow 3.25 percent in December - Jan 19, 2011
- Mobile number portability to be rolled out Thursday - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: aircel, gujarat, karnataka, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam limited, mnp, mobile number portability, mobile service providers, mobile user, oct 31, october 31, sanchar, sarma, stel, tamil nadu, tele idea, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telephone nigam limited, vodafone